AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

I decided to relocate my subwoofer from the wall next to the TV, to the corner of the room hidden behind the couches. I bought a highly recommended 50ft run of cable from our favorite site. The cable runs down into the basement from the receiver, alongside on of my heating ducts, and back up into the corner of the living room through the floor.

I thought everything was good until I started moving around the room. Depending on where you step in the room, the subwoofer goes nuts making a loud sound. I have to stomp on the floor and then it stops. Does this over and over, so right now I have it unplugged.

Any ideas why this would be happening?? Can it not touch the heating ducts? I don't really understand this one, I checked the connection to the receiver and the subwoofer and it is plugged in solid.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Bad/damaged cable.

Check the length of the cable to ensure it has not gotten pinched, cut, or otherwised damaged during or subsequent to the install. Also, if the cable was pulled hard it could have been damaged internally.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by file8761 /forum/post/16973617

Hey gang,

I decided to relocate my subwoofer from the wall next to the TV, to the corner of the room hidden behind the couches. I bought a highly recommended 50ft run of cable from our favorite site. The cable runs down into the basement from the receiver, alongside on of my heating ducts, and back up into the corner of the living room through the floor.

I thought everything was good until I started moving around the room. Depending on where you step in the room, the subwoofer goes nuts making a loud sound. I have to stomp on the floor and then it stops. Does this over and over, so right now I have it unplugged.

Any ideas why this would be happening?? Can it not touch the heating ducts? I don't really understand this one, I checked the connection to the receiver and the subwoofer and it is plugged in solid.

Thanks!

Have you moved the subwoofer close enough to the amp so you can use any old cable to test the subwoofer?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just tried this with my old cable and the issue goes away. Thanks for the suggestion. Means somethings up with the new cable.

Sucks, this was a brand new cable and checked my routing. I know I couldn't have damaged it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc /forum/post/16975162

Suggest you remove the "new" cable re-run it across(over) the floor and test it again.

I tried this and could not get the issue to repeat itself. So thinking maybe cause I routed along the ducts downstairs? I have no idea. I rerouted through the basement to avoid contacting anything metal. Been about 45 min and haven't recreated the issue yet. Only time will tell.

Thanks for all your help, keeping my fingers crossed now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts