AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my dealer suggested that I upgrade my subwoofer cables to some Wireworld Equinox 7 subwoofer cable.

Currently I am using some generic Mediabridge subwoofer cables from Amazon.

Priced at $495 for a 6M run (x2 for two runs), they sound very expensive to me. Hard to swallow. So I (temporarily) passed.

Do the subwoofer cables matter? This is system is purely stereo (2.2 channel) with PSA s1500 subs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
a coaxial cable that’s shielded will suffice. 23 euros for 25 meters.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I’ve heard a few negatives toward Mediabridge. I just ordered two Monolith 9’ sub cables I’m going to try out. They were $38 for both with no tax and free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Muphasta

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Expensive cables = snake oil...
Dont get sucked into the non-sense!

Those Mediabridge cables should be just perfect!
Well, good cables (not uber expensive) do matter in things like interconnects, speaker cables, and such. I had no issue splurging on some nice XLO Ultra Plus XLRs and speaker cables, and indeed experienced a noticeable improvement.

I was not sure that the same logic applies for subwoofer cables, since they are only used to pass the lower frequencies, and subs typically do not convey characteristics associated with speakers.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Well, good cables (not uber expensive) do matter in things like interconnects, speaker cables, and such. I had no issue splurging on some nice XLO Ultra Plus XLRs and speaker cables, and indeed experienced a noticeable improvement.

I was not sure that the same logic applies for subwoofer cables, since they are only used to pass the lower frequencies, and subs typically do not convey characteristics associated with speakers.
You are correct... Super cheap cables do usually have budget connector, lower grade copper wire etc...
Apply the same logic to your sub cables that you did your interconnects and you will be good to go, but no point in spending crazy amounts of money on cables...
sorry if I wasnt very clear...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, assuming I need to replace my Media Bridge ones, what do you guys recommend that is reasonably priced?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
You don't think that going from OFC to OCC on copper matters?
My cables are all OFC... But they dont seem to offer the same cables that I have anymore (just checked their site)

As long as the cable has good connectors and is OFC then you should be good to go... whichever company/supplier you choose

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My cables are all OFC... But they dont seem to offer the same cables that I have anymore (just checked their site)

As long as the cable has good connectors and is OFC then you should be good to go... whichever company/supplier you choose
Meant OCC is better than OFC. Sorry

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Recently my dealer suggested that I upgrade my subwoofer cables to some Wireworld Equinox 7 subwoofer cable.

Priced at $495 for a 6M run (x2 for two runs), they sound very expensive to me. Hard to swallow. So I (temporarily) passed.

Do the subwoofer cables matter? This is system is purely stereo (2.2 channel) with PSA s1500 subs.

Thanks!
Ok your sales person is trying to sell you snake oil plain and simple. LFE cables don't carry much power, just go to monoprice and order a cable from them and you will be fine. A 6 meter run is still in the realm of, the cable doesn't make much difference. If you were running 30 or 40 feet you might want something a little thicker than standard, but again I said might. Hell I have 2 subs one is using a LFE cable, as in that's what the package said its for, I bought it at radio shack. On the other I had some random RCA cables laying around so I pull them apart into 2 individual cables and used one for my other sub, and it works just fine.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I dont really think it matters...
As long as it passes the electrical signal, one type of wire isnt going to do it any better then another.....
If the guage is sufficient for the length you are just fine - electrical signals dont know the difference....

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

Thanks!
I use RG-6 (and terminated as RG-6 Coax) with pre-made screw-on RCA-Adapters on each end. My run is 40 ft. (in the walls and ceiling). Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I’ve heard a few negatives toward Mediabridge. I just ordered two Monolith 9’ sub cables I’m going to try out. They were $38 for both with no tax and free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I swapped out all of my analog RCAs for the Monolith RCAs from Monoprice. I keep forgetting that they only come as singles so I often have to place another order. But, some white and red electrical tape so I can easily differentiate the cables and I'm set.

I went from their previous most expensive RCAs for my office system where my turntable is and I was blown away by the difference. I used to sell home theater and I had a lot of Monster Cable on various systems in the house (2 full surround sound systems and 3 other AVRs for 2 and three channel audio) but these Monolith cables made the biggest difference I've ever heard.

Reactions: ia1z

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts