AVS Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1930 Posts

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
My understanding is modern foam surrounds do not have that problem. Not an engineer, though.
Thanks for your honest answer.

While I did a few search on the web, I could not find any answers from a research.
Only personal opinion on various, Audio site.
Since I got about a year, before I purchase dual FV18. I got lots of time to make my decision.

And also since my listening habit are not extremely high, in a 1728^ft room only open to small entrance.
Around -10 to -13dB from reference level, with if needed a + 1.5/2dB boost after calibration
And also considering that two FV18, should be plenty for my room.

At this point of time, I am leaning toward the metal cone driver with rubber surround.
In accordance from this description taken from the Rythmik page;
"For those who are after the maximum headroom in HT application may consider the paper cone version FV18SW (with paper cone SW1825)."

Darth

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Thanks for your honest answer.

While I did a few search on the web, I could not find any answers from a research.
Only personal opinion on various, Audio site.
Since I got about a year, before I purchase dual FV18. I got lots of time to make my decision.

And also since my listening habit are not extremely high, in a 1728^ft room only open to small entrance.
Around -10 to -13dB from reference level, with if needed a + 1.5/2dB boost after calibration
And also considering that two FV18, should be plenty for my room.

At this point of time, I am leaning toward the metal cone driver with rubber surround.
In accordance from this description taken from the Rythmik page;
"For those who are after the maximum headroom in HT application may consider the paper cone version FV18SW (with paper cone SW1825)."

Darth
Dual FV15HPs should be more than enough. @enricoclaudio what say you?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Dual FV15HPs should be more than enough. @enricoclaudio what say you?
From memory @darthray already has dual PB13U's in there (correct me if I'm wrong darth?) Would moving to FV15HP's be that much of an upgrade given his listening level? ( I am discounting SQ gains, which between these two, would largely come down to personal preference)

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,568
Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,570
It would be interesting to see some numbers on the Ipal version. Non pre-order pricing will place it in range of the Cap 4000. The size is a limiting factor for many when it comes to the Cap 4000 but with different variations available I guess people that want it can make it work. I don't see these besting the Cap 4000 due to the factors mentioned before on Cab size, amp power, driver xmax….:)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It would be interesting to see some numbers on the Ipal version. Non pre-order pricing will place it in range of the Cap 4000. The size is a limiting factor for many when it comes to the Cap 4000 but with different variations available I guess people that want it can make it work. I don't see these besting the Cap 4000 due to the factors mentioned before on Cab size, amp power, driver xmax….:)
They wont below 25 hz but will above with amazing punch and SQ. Thats my 2c.

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
They wont below 25 hz but will above with amazing punch and SQ. Thats my 2c.
Yep gonna have to agree with that simply due to the driver usage. Even having a system capable into the single digits with a fair amount of headroom, I am still amazed at the intensity at which people are obsessed with the

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think that the Cap4000 will remain the king of ULF by a decent margin. It has a larger cab, lower tuning, and more excursion. At some point (40-45 hz maybe), the iPal version of the TV36 will likely start to pull ahead. While the Cap4000 does have double the power, the iPals have better sensitivity and double the power only gains 3db if all else is equal. I'm guessing that the sound signature will be a good bit different as well. Pro audio drivers just sound different.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think that the Cap4000 will remain the king of ULF by a decent margin. It has a larger cab, lower tuning, and more excursion. At some point (30-35 hz maybe), the iPal version of the TV36 will likely start to pull ahead. While the Cap4000 does have double the power, the iPals have better sensitivity and double the power only gains 3db if all else is equal. I'm guessing that the sound signature will be a good bit different as well. Pro audio drivers just sound different.
I dont know if Tom is really trying to # race against the JTR , at least not yet. If he is , the TV36's aren't his attempt to dethrone it. He mentioned something about later on this year 'Big Sub' , so I would imagine that could be his attempt to take the 4K Cap down? Dont know. What I do think is that we are about to experience some pretty awesome new options from some of our favorite ID brands. PSA and I think Seaton and maybe Rythmik possibly entering the 12" sub game , dual opposed 10" subs etc etc. The TV36's interested me for a moment , but I think they would be a bit much size wise in my living room. However a IPAL V1811+ , with a lower tune , bigger box , maybe more amp , might get me back to the ported sub side of things...

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,575
Yep gonna have to agree with that simply due to the driver usage. Even having a system capable into the single digits with a fair amount of headroom, I am still amazed at the intensity at which people are obsessed with the

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,576
I dont know if Tom is really trying to # race against the JTR , at least not yet. If he is , the TV36's aren't his attempt to dethrone it. He mentioned something about later on this year 'Big Sub' , so I would imagine that could be his attempt to take the 4K Cap down? Dont know. What I do think is that we are about to experience some pretty awesome new options from some of our favorite ID brands. PSA and I think Seaton and maybe Rythmik possibly entering the 12" sub game , dual opposed 10" subs etc etc. The TV36's interested me for a moment , but I think they would be a bit much size wise in my living room. However a IPAL V1811+ , with a lower tune , bigger box , maybe more amp , might get me back to the ported sub side of things...

I agree. Also looking forward to a FV28 from rythmik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
I think it’s a lot more than 5-10% especially with BEQ.

BEQ would not increase the % of usage of that area in any way, it just increases the potency of that area. The effect lies at the same frequency regardless of BEQ or not.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,579
BEQ would not increase the % of usage of that area in any way, it just increases the potency of that area. The effect lies at the same frequency regardless of BEQ or not.

Nor sure I follow. BEQ is boosting the filtered frequencies mostly below 20hz.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think it’s a lot more than 5-10% especially with BEQ.

Since you have added a BOSS platform to the mix as well, I wanted to get your opinion. I have found that the BOSS platform makes my existing subs (PSA v1811) sound lower than they actually are. I am actually looking forward to the improved sound quality and mid-bass of the new TV36-iPal more than I am the added ULF. Do you agree that your BOSS makes that big of a difference? I think as long as the main subs add enough ULF to make the effect realistic, it isn't worth sacrificing mid-bass to get more ULF with the BOSS platform in the mix.

1561 - 1580 of 1930 Posts