Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

I need some help. I'm pretty new to home theater and I've been getting a lot of mixed advice about this topic. I have a Sony STR-DE595 Receiver (8 ohms), and I had previously bought a 4 ohm subwoofer. After a little while in use the receiver went into protect mode and I had to have it replaced under warranty. I assumed that this occurred because of the sub. I have asked a couple of people at different electronics stores and some tell me that it's alright to use a 4 ohm sub with the receiver, some tell me that it could cause damage. I have recently read about people's setups and i see that some people are using their 8 ohm receiver with 4 ohm subs. So which is it? If I can't use this sub, is there any relatively cheap (

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Most 5.1 receivers have a RCA line out that connects to the line in on the amp of the sub. You really shouldn't be using speaker wire to connect these. It can be done, but is not optimal.

What brand is the sub? Is it passive, or does it have it's own amp

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sub is powered... I think 100 watts, and i am going to be using sub cable that I have. I was just wondering if I can run a 4 ohm sub with the receiver I have.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxw6963
The sub is powered... I think 100 watts, and i am going to be using sub cable that I have. I was just wondering if I can run a 4 ohm sub with the receiver I have.

Makes no difference as the reciever is just sending the signal, not amplifing it. The only time a recevier would make a difference is if you were sending the signal through speaker wire and in that case, I wold say no, the receiver probalby couldn't power it.

Use the subwoofer cable from the LFE OUT jack and you will be fine

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I'm just making sure. I read somewhere and was told that the subwoofer would draw too much power from the receiver. So is that only the case if speaker wire is used or was I told wrong information?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
davdev's got it right - the impedance of the driver only matters to the amp that is driving it - in this case the sub's internal amp. The receiver doesn't see the 4 ohm driver at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.