AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how the owner's manual could be less helpful. I just purchased a Klipsch SW 450 to connect to a pair of Polk bookshelfs and an older Denon receiver that does not have a dedicated sub out line. The sub has one set of speaker terminals which I have connected to the Denon A speaker terminals. Now the stupid question - do I hook the Polks to the sub (doubling them up with the speaker wires coming from the receiver), or at the receiver (which I would again double up going into the A connections). Does it matter? It sounds good, but I don't want to damage anything.

thanks!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I would see if you can exchange the sub for something different.

The problem is, you have no way to high-pass your bookshelf speakers to keep bass content out of them. Most subs have a set of speaker inputs and outputs that are connected by a variable crossover circuit so that only low frequencies get sent to the sub and only high frequencies get sent to the other speakers. This sub does not appear to have that. So even though the sub is playing only low frequencies (via the built in low pass filter) it has no way to send only the high frequencies to the Polks. Nor does your old receiver it would seem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts