AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a HTR-5850 Yamaha receiver and all 5.1 speakers where Athena including the subwoofer. Everything was great quality sound and room shaking bass. Then the amp in my subwoofer went out (AS-P6000). It was under warranty so got it fixed and then about 6 months later broke again and so no longer under warranty so I had to replace it. I also found out that when the amp in the bass speaker went out it also somehow missed up the LFE on my receiver. I don't know the details on it but basically all the new bass speakers I hooked it up to would make VERY little sound/bass at all. I took the receiver into Best Buy where I bought it and they sent it in to their warranty repair place. They called me and said they reset the receiver to factory default settings and they do not hear anything wrong with the receiver LFE out and claim it is working just fine. I asked them if they have some meter or somehow to check the signal its putting out or whatever and they just said they hooked up a bass speaker to the LFE and it works. So whatever I know most of the techs there don't know what they are doing and don't care (I use to work there so I know this first hand lol). Anywise I got the receiver back and ordered a Elemental Designs A5-350 with Amplifier LT/550. The Elemental Designs people say this thing should be great for me (the room is 2000 cubit feet). The receiver seems to be working fine with the new subwoofer, but it is not producing the same amount of bass my last subwoofer was, but is deffiently much better then before I sent in the receiver so maybe they did fix it. But again the ED subwoofer is just not making bass like my first subwoofer was.

FIRST QUESTION: Do you guys think there is an issue with my receiver or maybe this ED subwoofer is just not enough for me?

SECOND QUESTION: Also, when the bass does start being louder or deeper it sometimes "cutts off or turns off". I have to flip the power switch off and back on and then it works again. Why would this happen?

Thanks all for your continued help.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyliver /forum/post/14167957

Ok so I have a HTR-5850 Yamaha receiver and all 5.1 speakers where Athena including the subwoofer. Everything was great quality sound and room shaking bass. Then the amp in my subwoofer went out (AS-P6000). It was under warranty so got it fixed and then about 6 months later broke again and so no longer under warranty so I had to replace it. I also found out that when the amp in the bass speaker went out it also somehow missed up the LFE on my receiver. I don't know the details on it but basically all the new bass speakers I hooked it up to would make VERY little sound/bass at all. I took the receiver into Best Buy where I bought it and they sent it in to their warranty repair place. They called me and said they reset the receiver to factory default settings and they do not hear anything wrong with the receiver LFE out and claim it is working just fine. I asked them if they have some meter or somehow to check the signal its putting out or whatever and they just said they hooked up a bass speaker to the LFE and it works. So whatever I know most of the techs there don't know what they are doing and don't care (I use to work there so I know this first hand lol). Anywise I got the receiver back and ordered a Elemental Designs A5-350 with Amplifier LT/550. The Elemental Designs people say this thing should be great for me (the room is 2000 cubit feet). The receiver seems to be working fine with the new subwoofer, but it is not producing the same amount of bass my last subwoofer was, but is deffiently much better then before I sent in the receiver so maybe they did fix it. But again the ED subwoofer is just not making bass like my first subwoofer was.

FIRST QUESTION: Do you guys think there is an issue with my receiver or maybe this ED subwoofer is just not enough for me?

SECOND QUESTION: Also, when the bass does start being louder or deeper it sometimes "cutts off or turns off". I have to flip the power switch off and back on and then it works again. Why would this happen?

Thanks all for your continued help.

The subwoofer is turning off because it's detecting clipping (to protect the amp)..... the question is if the clipping is coming from the sub amp running out of headroom or the receiver. The sub amp should ony do this when the sub is trying to output more than 115db (very loud depending on your room size, room acoustics, and listening position location)

A quick way to test this is to find a song part or movie scene where at a certain volume it always shuts off. Keep the volume on your receiver at the same level, but on the subwoofer amp, turn the level down. If it still turns off at that scene, you know the problem is the receiver. If the subwoofer doesn't turn off on the scene or song with the sub level down, then it could be a combination of things.

Another quick test to do is to turn on something with loud bass.... listen to it where you normally sit, then replay it at the same volume, but stand right next to the subwoofer. Is it a lot louder at the sub?

You may need to play with receiver settings or sub placement.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind - is that you're running into a low voltage situation in your room due to excessive current drain on the AC line. When voltage sags, the current required goes up significantly. It could be the reason your Athena sub amp blew twice, and why your Elemental Designs amp is going into protection mode.

You might need to run a second AC line circuit to the room, just for the sub. I'd be willing to bet that when the sub is cranking hard, the other 5 speakers are cranking just as hard, making for two power hungry amplifiers tugging at the same 15-amp 14-gauge room wiring at the same time.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts