AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right off the bat I just want to say this post isn't directed to anyone in particular. In the four or so years I have been visiting this forum, I have read countless posts about people damaging their subwoofers by either going for extreme spl that is way beyond their sub's capabilities, turning their amp's gain up all the way, extended sine wave testing, not knowing that the clank they heard bottoming their sub was bad, etc. At the same time, I have read literally hundreds of posts asking either how to calibrate their subwoofer or why their subwoofer doesn't sound very good and if there is something set up wrong. I'm sure most of you see the same thing everyday.

I am pretty sure there was a thread that went through a detailed set up process and calibration process on this very forum. Why not make it a sticky at the very top of the page and eliminate a good 50% of these posts. Perhaps someone can add to it how NOT to test your subwoofer, and what to reasonably expect out of a subwoofer.

Again, not targeting anyone, but what does get annoyng to me is seeing someone make a post about wanting to get a new sub. Model X is recommended for the size of their room and their expectations. They then get model Y because it is cheaper and they don't think they will play it very loud. Within a month I then see the same poster start a new thread asking why they bottomed or blew out their subwoofer. When asked for details, they admit to playing the sub 15db higher than they originally thought they would or what was advised to them.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I think a calibration sticky would be useful, but I wouldn't want to make it an open thread. If you do then for every permutation (and there are a LOT of them) you'd get a spider_bill jumping in and saying, "THAT'S WRONG! In MY system you have to set it up like X". There there would be an argument about how atypical that system is, how the proposed technique wouldn't work with other configurations, etc etc..

If someone would write up calibration procedures for the most typical configurations, we could review it and put it in a locked sticky.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Steve,

I would agree that most underestimate the bass content in their DVD collection.They under purchase a sub designed to fill a smaller room at lower levels.

I attempted a thread to help users choose a subwoofer based on values used by most of the advanced sub guys in this forum. It was designed to get them used to the terms offen mentioned and values we use every day. There are some extremely knowledgable people that could compile this "how to list"

It would then give you a list of passages of films that test a subs ability.Starting at low levels and working your way up.

Steve, this mission is yours for the taking if you chose.PM me and we'll get some ideas together and run it by the big boy at the forum.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ah grasshoppa, you ask $64,000 question!

That's why I bought a big-a$$ SVS sub, 525watts of pure unadulterated dB's...

I agree, I too would like to see that stick on how to set up and calibrate.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Well, people are stupid and we do stupid things sometimes. It's human nature:D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD
Well, people are stupid and we do stupid things sometimes. It's human nature:D
But even smart people are extremely capable of doing stupid s**t.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I don't think we would have to create entirely new information, I swear I have already seen a detailed thread on here that was like a checklist of how to setup a new subwoofer - checking receiver levels, phase, location, etc.

All we would have to add to it is what one can expect from an average subwoofer, how to calibrate, and how NOT to test it.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas
All we would have to add to it is what one can expect from an average subwoofer, how to calibrate, and how NOT to test it.
Does that mean you shouldn't do this to your sub? :eek:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=569478

John

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
I think a calibration sticky would be useful, but I wouldn't want to make it an open thread. If you do then for every permutation (and there are a LOT of them) you'd get a spider_bill jumping in and saying, "THAT'S WRONG! In MY system you have to set it up like X". There there would be an argument about how atypical that system is, how the proposed technique wouldn't work with other configurations, etc etc..

If someone would write up calibration procedures for the most typical configurations, we could review it and put it in a locked sticky.

After you "calibrate" your subwoofer level, you should also listen to music that you are familiar with and fine tune your system by ear anyway.

I don't think that there is a major difference in basic subwoofer "calibration" procedures. However, subwoofers with different output capabilites will playback at different maximum levels even if they are calibrated in an identical manner.

Multiple subwoofers give you different results again.

I also assume that we are not talking about "room calibration" here. Then things get complicated!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD2.
John Robert and Proz- I just KNEW you were going there. :D

I second (third) that nomination!
;) :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts