AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 10" W3 JL Audio subwoofer in my car. Unfortunately something slid into my sub and damaged it. Now it still works and I dont think there is a sound difference.... or maybe just minor. Anyways was wondering if there is anything i can do or put on it to repair or help it not get worse?

Thanks

Here are some pictures,

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have a 10W7 and with a similar situation as yours. When I looked into it, it cost just as much or more (since I had to ship a giant 50lbs box) to recone the driver as it was to just buy a new complete driver. You may just consider using it as is until it dies then replace it. YMMV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It almost looks like its just a cover over the sub, because I can see there is another layer under it.... I'm hoping it does not die or get worse to the point where the sound quality degrades however I do not know.

Was hoping there would be some sort of repair kit or something I could put over the crack and it would hold it together and not get worse.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
That's the outer surface of the cone. The W series drivers have a dual layer cone. If you're not doing competitions with your sub I wouldn't worry about it too much. I punish my subs in a home theater setting and the crack in mine has not grown any nor can I hear any difference between the damaged cone and the non-damaged one. Mine is a little more extensively damaged than yours. Mine has an actual hole the size of a quarter in it. The missing portion is pushed into the driver itself. Since I can't get to the back of it I can't push it back out. Kind of like the opening of a can of soda.

The only way to repair that damage is to recone as far as I know. There is no patch kit that I know of. You can try filling in the cracks with high strength epoxy maybe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts