AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Both Epik Empire and Seaton Submersive use similar design, sealed box, with opposed side-firing drivers to cancel out cabinet vibration.

I really like this design. Is there other brand/model using similar design?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There are three sided subwoofers that employ the same principle. The new Paradigm Sub 1, Sub 2 and Martin Logan Descent. I think Klipsch used to make a triple sided sub as well.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
The Mirage BPS400 was one of the earlier ones if I recall. Didnt M&K make one as well? As for current ones, I can't think of any off hand.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
The old Krell Master Reference sub. It had some sort of metal enclosure(chassis constructed of 1-inch-thick aluminum with 2-inch-thick speaker baffles) with 2 15's and a 2600 watt amp. It was spec'ed to do 120db at 20Hz. I think the price was $30,000 when it was discontinued
http://www.spearitsound.com/Krell/krellmrs.htm

You can find more info and pics if you want.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
The Bravus dual-driver line of subs from Aperion have opposing dual drivers, but I've yet to hear a favorable opinion from any owners of the subs.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paradigm Sub 1/2, that just looks weird! And I doubt the price is in my range!

Checked Aperion Bravus, a dual 12" for $1100, with unknown user feedback? I'll take the Epik dual 15" at $800 any day!

Any other option using similar design? If there is so few model in this layout, will there be any disadvantage using such design?

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Typically, short of using inexpensive drivers, I'd imagine cost was one disadvantage. I.e., 2 decent quality drivers cost, well, twice the cost of one quality driver.

Another disadvantage, in a sealed design, is power. A small sealed box with one woofer requires some decent power to get useable SPL at lower frequencies, adding another driver puts another load on the amp I would think.

Weight of the box also comes to mind?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/18280663

The Bravus dual-driver line of subs from Aperion have opposing dual drivers, but I've yet to hear a favorable opinion from any owners of the subs.

I'll give you one. I recently upgraded my office music system with an Aperion Bravus 10. I find the presentation to be quite good. The sub mates superbly with my old ACI LX monitors. There is minimal overhang or ringing and no notable boominess from the unit. And I really like the dual driver design, as I believe the unit is relieved somewhat of unwanted vibrational energy.

I have owned a number of subs, SVS, Hsu, Energy, JBL, etc, and have auditioned dozens more. Even though I'm limited to less than optimum placement, the built-in EQ has allowed me to deal with room issues. Run au natural and running frequency sweeps, I measured a large peak at 50 Hz. Using the Bravus EQ system, I tamed that hump in about 1 minute! I now have a near flat FR, +/-3 dB from 31.5-80 Hz. I only wish I could do the same in my HT room with twin SVS Plusses and multiple EQ'ing systems.

I very much like the Aperion remote system as well. I only use the "music" selection of the sub's presentation modes (they call them "performance settings"), but I'm able to tailor the sound from my desk seat to whatever it is I'm playing and to differing source elements.

This office is 11'x12' and the sub provides more SPL capability than I'd EVER use. It has a tiny footprint. I really like the veneer they use and find the unit to be decently attractive.

Yep, I'm very pleased with the sub.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Mudslide, can you expand on the built in Aperion EQ, how it works and how many parametric EQ adjustments are avail...

Thanks

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid /forum/post/18278948

There are three sided subwoofers that employ the same principle. The new Paradigm Sub 1, Sub 2 and Martin Logan Descent. I think Klipsch used to make a triple sided sub as well.

Dual opposed can be fairly easily designed to cancel vibration, etc.

I don't think subs with drivers and or passive radiators on 3 sides benefits nearly as much from the benefits of opposing cancellation of vibration, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18518386

Dual opposed can be fairly easily designed to cancel vibration, etc.

I don't think subs with drivers and or passive radiators on 3 sides benefits nearly as much from the benefits of opposing cancellation of vibration, etc.

The ML Descent has drivers on 3 sides, and they call the design a "balanced-force" design which cancels cabinet vibrations/resonances. It works.

Other designs with a PR on the opposite side from the active driver, (Earthquake Supernova), or with dual PR's on 2 sides with the active driver on the 3rd side, (Klipsch RT d series), do not benefit from the vibration/resonance cancellation. The PR's only generate output at the "tune" frequency. The active driver has very little motion to balance at the tune frequency of the PR. In fact, the Earthquake sub vibrates the entire cabinet like crazy at the PR tune point. On a suspended floor, it makes for a great tactile transducer. Quite the opposite of a dual opposed driver or "balanced force" design.

Craig

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/18518359

Mudslide, can you expand on the built in Aperion EQ, how it works and how many parametric EQ adjustments are avail...

Thanks

Hi Warp...(Prince of subs...second only to King Mike C....
)

The Bravus comes from the factory with the EQ system set to "Bypass". The owners can run the EQ by ear or by SPL meter. (I used the meter and sweep and warble tones.)

There is only one boost/trim parametric filter. In the case of my office, it was all I needed. You can set the EQ to one trouble frequency and then mate the Q setting with the approximate width of the frequency dip/peak.

Three Q settings are provided...narrow, normal, and wide. I'm guessing here, but the I believe the narrow setting affects roughly a 5 Hz spread. The wide is ~40 Hz. The normal is in between. I'm using the narrow setting. I have the peak in my office diminished by ~6 dB. I believe that is the maximum +/- dB level allowed by the EQ system.

It was pretty simple in my case.

EDIT: I have to say that the Aperion EQ system is a bit easier to use IMHO than the similar SVS built-in EQ system. I really like the remote for being able to sit in one place (my sweet spot/desk chair) with the meter in hand, and make changes on the fly.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide /forum/post/18518510

Hi Warp...(Prince of subs...second only to King Mike C....
)

Hahahha Thanks for the info, I didn't know how much eq they provided, at least its good info for other people that may be interested. Much like the JL - 1 para eq, but JL is automated.

My sub setup is about a week or 2 away from getting an extreme update, so be on the lookout.... it'll get a thread soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts