AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add a second sub or upgrade. The deal is I have 250.00 to spend on this venture and I absolutely can't go any higher. So no one should suggest anything higher. This is my limit. No exceptions.

First option is to add a second ASW-10 from The Speaker Company. This is good clean sub down to about 28hz. But my room is 12' x 21' x 8' so its struggles a bit at higher volume. I would also add the ED parametric eq since I would save roughly 100.00 with this sub.

Second option is to pick up one of the following 12" subs.

Premier Acoustics PA-120 for 229.00 off of ebay. Supposedly has good output to 23hz.

Polk Audio PSW-505 for 249.00 from JR.com. Again according to the review I read it can get down to 25hz with reasonable output.

Boston Acoustics HPS-12HO for 249.00. Looks to have output down to 25hz and should offer the output I need to fill my room.

So in a nut shell would it be better to pick up the the benefits of two subs and the extra output with a little less extension or go with one of the larger subs that I listed.

If there are any other options at my price point Im missing please chime in.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz /forum/post/15466727

Looking to add a second sub or upgrade. The deal is I have 250.00 to spend on this venture and I absolutely can't go any higher. So no one should suggest anything higher. This is my limit. No exceptions.

First option is to add a second ASW-10 from The Speaker Company. This is good clean sub down to about 28hz. But my room is 12' x 21' x 8' so its struggles a bit at higher volume. I would also add the ED parametric eq since I would save roughly 100.00 with this sub.

Second option is to pick up one of the following 12" subs.

Premier Acoustics PA-120 for 229.00 off of ebay. Supposedly has good output to 23hz.

Polk Audio PSW-505 for 249.00 from JR.com. Again according to the review I read it can get down to 25hz with reasonable output.

Boston Acoustics HPS-12HO for 249.00. Looks to have output down to 25hz and should offer the output I need to fill my room.

So in a nut shell would it be better to pick up the the benefits of two subs and the extra output with a little less extension or go with one of the larger subs that I listed.

If there are any other options at my price point Im missing please chime in.

By adding a second sub in that price range you will increase your overall output by up to 6 db (placed together), or as little as 3 db, ( place far apart). Gaining USEFUL extension down from your current 28 Hz isn't straigtforward.

Just because the specs say 25, 23, etc., doesn't mean you will get much useful volume at these frequencies.

To the best of my knowledge there are no subs that can do real justice to 25 Hz, and only cost $250.

They may reach down to 25 or below but at volume levels that aren't really useful.

I can post more later. Would you consider selling what you have and getting an SVS PB-10 NSD. Flat to 19 Hz:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-10-2004.html

Scroll down to see the FR. 19Hz-150 plus/minus 1 db.

Manufacturers specifications (Boston) should be taken with a grain of salt. You need test results before you spend another $250.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/15467082

By adding a second sub in that price range you will increase your overall output by up to 6 db (placed together), or as little as 3 db, ( place far apart). Gaining USEFUL extension down from your current 28 Hz isn't straigtforward.

Just because the specs say 25, 23, etc., doesn't mean you will get much useful volume at these frequencies.

To the best of my knowledge there are no subs that can do real justice to 25 Hz, and only cost $250.

They may reach down to 25 or below but at volume levels that aren't really useful.

I can post more later. Would you consider selling what you have and getting an SVS PB-10 NSD. Flat to 19 Hz:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-10-2004.html

Scroll down to see the FR. 19Hz-150 plus/minus 1 db.

Manufacturers specifications (Boston) should be taken with a grain of salt. You need test results before you spend another $250.

Good point. The PA-120 from my understanding does have good output in the mid 20's and being I don't listen at reference levels might do some justice. The Boston I don't no to much about and I agree with you on specs but seems worthy of looking at. Hopefully someone can chime in on the Boston.

The Polk was reviewed by the same publication as the SVS and being I will use an EQ in the future could be a viable option as well and received a respectable review.

As for selling the ASW-10. It goes for 149.00 with free shipping. So I would not get enough selling it used to make any measurable dent towards the SVS. Plus the SVS is to big for our room being I have limited placement option.

In a year or two I should be able to stretch my budget to something like a HSU or SVS. But as of now these are my options.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm also really thinking hard about getting that Boston (or one of their older models with similar specs). I was reading another thread on this forum and found this link , and if you search for "Boston Acoustics" you will see data indicating that it can indeed reach down to 23hz at usable levels. I've always been impressed with Boston subwoofers (not that I have extensive experience with subwoofers in general), I've found they offer "real" power measurements coupled with distortion-free, clean, tight, powerful bass. However, I haven't heard the new stuff. This is based on the powered towers in their VR 975/960 speakers, the subs in their BA7800/BA7900 computer speaker products, and the lowly PV500 (which I was very impressed with). I don't know, but for $250 it sounds like it's hard to go wrong.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I also think we need to keep in mind the Boston is only $250 due to being phased out (I think, based on original price and lack on mention on Boston's website).

I've practically convinced myself to buy it now. If you're up to waiting the week or so it would take to get it, I could offer some first-hand comments. I'm expecting good things. I don't have any SPL meters or measurement devices, but I can comment on setup, general sound impressions, how much my insides were rattled, etc.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Never mind my rant about the sub being phased out. I could have sworn I read that somewhere, but it's still very present on Boston's site. My bad. Makes you wonder why it's suddenly so inexpensive compared to its high MSRP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts