AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

About four years I purchased a Velodyne SPL-1000 sub. Unfortunately, the sub often starts to distort very heavily to the point where it must be turned off for some time.

The distortion sounds like white noise with lots of base naturally. I posted some years ago about the problem but really did not find any good answers other than talk to support which told me to replace the amp.

So Velodyne replaced the amp twice in the first year or so but the problem really never got fixed. I got tired of sending it in for replacements without any tangible change or success.

I am wondering what could be causing this? The sub is by no means overused or is required to do any heavy lifting. It will most often distort light jazz that plays in the background while we have people over at very moderate volumes. Strangely, during movies where the base is actually required to perform it does not seem to give out, it seems.

I can live with the fact that the sub woofer has issues as we are rarely using it these days. Once it distorts, we turn it off and it simply stays in this position until I think to turn it back on which is rarer and rarer. Kind of sad though for a $1000 sub.

The issue occurred with a Yamaha HTR5890 and still happens now with a Onkyo TX-SR606 which replaced the Yamaha about a year ago.

When it works, this sub is awesome for my purposes and sound expectations. I just which it would actually work consistently. For the most part, it's been an expensive paper weight except it sits below our TV so I can't use it as such either.

Is this a known issue? What could be the cause? What's is a good replacement for the Velodyne SPL-1000? I need a small sub (not much bigger than the SPL-1000).

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf2001 /forum/post/18199047

Hi,

About four years I purchased a Velodyne SPL-1000 sub. Unfortunately, the sub often starts to distort very heavily to the point where it must be turned off for some time.

The distortion sounds like white noise with lots of base naturally. I posted some years ago about the problem but really did not find any good answers other than talk to support which told me to replace the amp.

So Velodyne replaced the amp twice in the first year or so but the problem really never got fixed. I got tired of sending it in for replacements without any tangible change or success.

I am wondering what could be causing this? The sub is by no means overused or is required to do any heavy lifting. It will most often distort light jazz that plays in the background while we have people over at very moderate volumes. Strangely, during movies where the base is actually required to perform it does not seem to give out, it seems.

I can live with the fact that the sub woofer has issues as we are rarely using it these days. Once it distorts, we turn it off and it simply stays in this position until I think to turn it back on which is rarer and rarer. Kind of sad though for a $1000 sub.

The issue occurred with a Yamaha HTR5890 and still happens now with a Onkyo TX-SR606 which replaced the Yamaha about a year ago.

When it works, this sub is awesome for my purposes and sound expectations. I just which it would actually work consistently. For the most part, it's been an expensive paper weight except it sits below our TV so I can't use it as such either.

Is this a known issue? What could be the cause? What's is a good replacement for the Velodyne SPL-1000? I need a small sub (not much bigger than the SPL-1000).

Going on a limp here, but could it be noise on the power net? Or noise coupling into the subwoofer cable?

Maybe it rumbles when the fridge turns on, or the washing machine etc

Could be idea to try it in someone elses house and receiver and see if it happens there as well..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Velodyne spl-1000 and had the same problem in my 12'x20'x8' room due to placement options which was in the corner. Now I have it in a 17'x21'x23' living room (super high ceiling) and it sounds real good. Its weird to me even but I like it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by [unique] /forum/post/18199207

Going on a limp here, but could it be noise on the power net? Or noise coupling into the subwoofer cable?

Maybe it rumbles when the fridge turns on, or the washing machine etc

Could be idea to try it in someone elses house and receiver and see if it happens there as well..

To avoid any issues, I had tested putting the sub behind a commercial grade APC UPS unit with no luck.

The subs back panel has been replaced for the third time now. This particular version has lasted longer than any before. I am hopeful it addresses it for the next 3-5 years. If it re-occurs, I will simply toss the sub and move on a different manufacturer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts