AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just recently got back into the AV scene with the purchase of a new 60" Panasonic Plasma TV and I'm also setting up my audio components as well.

Here's my set up: I purchased a HTIB set around 03 0r 04 and I'm still using the receiver and subwoofer. The HTIB was the Onkyo HT-S770. The receiver was a Onkyo HT-R520.

The subwoofer is a SKW-520 that is a 10" sub. That's about all I know about the sub.

I have since added two Polk M70's for the front and a Polk CS-2 center along with two Polk M30's for the rear speakers.

Here's my problem with the sub. At one time, and this may even be before I added the Polk speakers, the sub would actually knock me out of my chair. I remember one movie scene where someone came around the corner and without warning, fired a shot gun and I really felt it. KaBoom!!!! Loved it!

Now, the sub no longer does this. I've tried numerous movies, and although you know the sub is working, it just doesn't "KaBoom" you. I also remember scenes where there were explosions and they were awesome. I'm currently in the market to upgrade the sub and receiver but until I do I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to why the sub no longer "KaBooms".

I should say that I changed settings down through the years, so I'm sure it was something I did that caused the problem. I've tried reverting back to the way I remember the settings but with no luck. Current settings are: Front speakers set to small. I believe at one time I had them set as large. Crossover frequency is at 100Hz (default). Cinema filter is off. I can't seem to set the late night feature.

Subwoofer is set to on. Maybe a listening mode setting is the problem?

I realize that this sub is a cheap sub from a HTIB, but believe me it popped. I probably caught heck from wifey and that's probably the reason I changed settings.

It's always the wife..........

Thanks

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well, it could be that your sub is shot. Looks like your settings are correct. Only thing I can think of is to play around with your settings. You mentioned night mode, look closer into that. Night mode would certainly remove the kaboom.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crn3371,

Thank you. It could be as you suggested that the sub is shot but I'm thinking more along the lines that it's a setting somewhere.

I think at one time I did change the "late night" setting and that could be the problem.

When I try to access that feature it is no longer available to adjust. At one time I'm sure it was available. It seems to have vanished along with another feature called double bass. The only feature I can see under my "audio adjust" function, is the "cinema filter" which I have turned off. There should be three options under "audio adjust" and there's only one, "cinema filter".

I don't understand why the other two features aren't there. Possibly another setting somewhere is preventing them from being accessed?

I even tried using the remote which has a separate button for "late night", but when I press it, it just says "not available".

Anyways, thanks again, I'll keep tinkering...........

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Are your speakers connected to the sub or to the receiver? If to the receiver, then I assume your sub is connected with a single cable to the receiver's sub-out, right?

The "double bass" setting will not be available when the front speakers are set to SMALL, btw.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Many weaker subwoofers do not provide much supplemental sound in the lower frequencies in comparison to mediocre (or good) floorstanding speakers that can have substantial output at 35 Hz.

In the under $300 range, individuals in this forum like the BIC PL-200; at under $400, the Hsu STF2; when on sale at $300 (or $350), individuals like the Klipsch RW-12D.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
derrickdj1, Totally agree that I need a better sub. And soon I shall have one.

sivadselim, Speakers are connected to the receiver. Sub is connected via sub preout. If the double bass option is not available when speakers are set to small, maybe the late night option isn't available either for the same reason. I will check later.

wwinkler, Thank you for the info on various subs. My budget for a new sub will be no more than 4 to 5 hundred. I realize there are many in that price range to choose from so it's probably gonna be a tough decision.

The main reason I started this thread was to try and figure out what I may have done to lose the oomph in my old HTIB sub. As i said, at one time the sub would really hit hard.

I'll bet it's gonna have something to do with setting the front speakers to small.

Thanks again guys....

·
Registered
290 Posts
If the late night option is grayed out and can't be selected, it isn't enabled so that's not the issue. Some other setting is preventing it from being used.

If you take some pics of your settings, that might help diagnose the problem.

My guess... you've lowered the sub trim level. Find the settings where it plays test tones and let's you adjust the volume for each speaker up and down... Then raise the sub volume.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
290 Posts
Setting the speakers to small isn't the problem. They should be set to small. Those speakers can't produce any bass so setting them to large will only make the problem worse.

Just noticed you've added Polk speakers and aren't using the HTIB ones now. Nevertheless, you say you were getting more bass when using the HTIB ones which still means the small speaker setting isn't the issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
16,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John36  /t/1471597/subwoofer-doesnt-kaboom-anymore#post_23291312

sivadselim, Speakers are connected to the receiver. Sub is connected via sub preout. If the double bass option is not available when speakers are set to small, maybe the late night option isn't available either for the same reason. I will check later.
That (the speakers being set to SMALL) shouldn't affect your access to the 'late night' setting. Whether whatever is preventing you from accessing that setting has anything to do with your perception that your sub lost its "kaboom", I don't know. But why you can't use that setting is probably worth trying to figure out. Sometimes other settings in the receiver will block that setting.

If you once had access to the 'double bass' setting, perhaps you once had your front speakers set to LARGE, and with a smallish subwoofer, that might be why you thought the system had more oomph, especially if you were using the 'double bass' setting. I don't know how capable on the low-end your old HTiB speakers might have been. Or how capable your current Polks are relative to those, now.

Did you recently move the subwoofer to another location in your room?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
benunc,

I did in fact adjust the subwoofer volume using the test tone feature that you mentioned. Didn't really help with the problem though?

The "late night" function isn't greyed out, it's not even showing up as an option.

sivadselim,

I'm still trying to figure out why the "late night" feature is missing. I'm sure it's probably another setting that's preventing it from being accessed.

You may be on to something in your last paragraph. I'm pretty sure that I did have the front speakers set to large at some point, I just don't know if I was using the original HTIB Onkyo speakers or the new Polks.

I have moved the sub a couple times now, in hopes that the location had something to do with the problem. No luck.

I appreciate everyone's effort in trying to help me. It's just one of those things that bug you when you can't figure out what's going on.

Like I said, I will soon upgrade this sub, I was just curious as to what I might have done to cause this issue.

Thanks guys......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.