AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Currently I have 2x JL 12W0's in 2 sealed boxes in each corner of the room, driven by a SA240-B 240W plate amp from PE.

The quality of the bass is lacking from the heavily abused drivers, and I'd like to replace it with something more respectable.

I'd like to reuse my amp (This may be an issue since its only 240W @ 4 Ohms), and build new boxes (ported, sealed or bandpass is fine) but I am struggling to find a good driver and box design.

Because of the existing layout at the front of the room I'd like the box to be no higher / deeper then 24". Basically I have 24"x24"x11' at the front "stage" to use.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use? I found that the dual subs (each corner of the front) gives a better response in the room, so I'm happy to go with that again, or a single sub if required.

The other main speakers are a pair of Tritrix that I built and am super happy with.

I'm in Canada too, so bonus points for anything that is available here.

Thanks,

Chad

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
Chad,

Welcome!!! Your theater's dimensions are identical to mine, so I may be able to suggest a few things. before that, does your room open up to any other rooms or is it closed off from the rest of the house? is it a basement, or attic/family type room? how high is the ceiling? is it treated at all?

Im currently using a pair of lilmike's cinema f-20's and they fill the room with plenty of bass for whatever you listen to. one with your 240 watt amp should be perfect. It would be a little larger than your needs obviously, but if you answer the above questions, it will help a little more with folks making proper suggestions for you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The room opens up to the rest of the basement via a side opening near the back.

The ceiling is untreated 1/2 drywall on the joists.

Flooring is carpet on cement.

Pretty much a budget build

I'll look at the F20's but they seem to be a larger size then I'm looking for. Can they be modified to keep the same sq footage but change the overall size to be inside 24"x24"x11'

Otherwise I'll be tearing out my front stage and rebuilding..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts