AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subwoofer EQs - what does good look like?

So here I am going out to customers homes doing calibrations and I am constantly coming up against the lack of a good subwoofer crossover / EQ solution. Is anyone else having this same problem?

It got me thinking. What would a good subwoofer EQ look like?

- automated or manual setup? or maybe some combination of the two?

- FIR or IIR filters?

- how many subwoofers would it need to support? 2? 4? 8?

- what inputs would it need to have? XLR, RCA, Digital!!?

- how much should it cost?

- what are other people using and what drawbacks do those products have?

- would it incorporate a LPF? e.g. for rolloff of mains?

- would it incorporate a HPF? e.g. for subsonic rolloff?

My own preferences would lead me down the path of IIR filters, manual setup, 4 subwoofers, XLR inputs, yes to HPF, no to LPF, under $1000...what say ye all?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
What does a good sub EQ look like?

"Analog like" control over digital EQ.

10 stackable fully parametric filters, from 12.5hz, all the way up to 20khz.

Each filter switch bypass-able, each bank of five filters switch bypass-able.

It looks like this;

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the fact that the MiniDSP isn't available in a box with XLR connectors and is a bit difficult to setup for multiple subs put you off (the plugins are not designed for sub EQ)? I agree that it is really cool otherwise

·
Registered
4,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor /forum/post/20894053

Does the fact that the MiniDSP isn't available in a box with XLR connectors and is a bit difficult to setup for multiple subs put you off (the plugins are not designed for sub EQ)? I agree that it is really cool otherwise

Most users I have read about are using the MiniDSP with a sub. It is easy enough to just buy an XLR to Phoenix adapter . You can also cut off one end of an XLR and connect the wires directly.

I have used a Behringer DCX2496 and also own a MiniDSP. However, since the computer is my source, I find it much easier and better to do everything with J. River Media Center using a Steinberg MR816x as the audio device (8 channels of balanced outputs). For example, for two channel listening I copy the left channel to output 3 and the right channel to output 4. I have my left subwoofer connected to output 3 and my right subwoofer connected to output 4. I apply a 60 Hz high pass filter at 12 dB/octave to my mains. I apply a 100 Hz low pass filter at 48 dB/octave on the subwoofers. This gives each subwoofer a discreet channel and from below 60 Hz to a little above 100 Hz both the subs and mains overlap. Any gain in this area can easily be pulled down using a parametric EQ filter. I can set parametric EQ filters on a per subwoofer basis or on all subs at once. Each sub can have its own distance and gain settings in addition to high/low pass filters, parametric EQ, and a Linkwitz Transform. It is like having a Dolby Lake Processor, but with a 64-bit internal data path instead of a 32-bit internal data path!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
The MiniDSP is a wonderful tool. The open platform, user variable is really appealing to those not wanting to waste money on features that don't apply to them. But....

Similar to the manner in which OmniMic simplified measurements, it'd be nice to have an extremely simple, small form factor piece that simplified some of the aspects of MiniDSP, that some may be intimidated by. A "one box does it all" (or nearly all
) approach, whereby EQ, Xover, delay, peak limiting, etc.,.. all would be included and easily connected with a USB interface and a simple GUI.

I'm thinking something akin to the QSC DSP-30, yet with more functionality and merely big enough for the I/O connectors, w/ outboard PS. Of course the pricing would be more along the lines of REW

Just as REW is somewhat cumbersome appearing to the un-initiated, so may be the MiniDSP. Yes, if you outfitted a box with RCA's for every config of I/O's typically found, it would increase the cost,..... big deal, that's what many enthusiasts want. I'd guess 90% of audio enthusiasts don't even know a phoenix connector if it was sitting right in front of them.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/20895328

The MiniDSP is a wonderful tool. The open platform, user variable is really appealing to those not wanting to waste money on features that don't apply to them. But....

Similar to the manner in which OmniMic simplified measurements, it'd be nice to have an extremely simple, small form factor piece that simplified some of the aspects of MiniDSP, that some may be intimidated by. A "one box does it all" (or nearly all
) approach, whereby EQ, Xover, delay, peak limiting, etc.,.. all would be included and easily connected with a USB interface and a simple GUI.

I'm thinking something akin to the QSC DSP-30, yet with more functionality and merely big enough for the I/O connectors, w/ outboard PS. Of course the pricing would be more along the lines of REW

Just as REW is somewhat cumbersome appearing to the un-initiated, so may be the MiniDSP. Yes, if you outfitted a box with RCA's for every config of I/O's typically found, it would increase the cost,..... big deal, that's what many enthusiasts want. I'd guess 90% of audio enthusiasts don't even know a phoenix connector if it was sitting right in front of them.

Thanks

That's pretty much what I thought would be useful
Do you think I am right in thinking that the 'consumer' form factor (small box) is going to be different to the 'installer' form factor (19" rack mount)?

What would you think about using XLR to RCA adaptors if the box only came with XLRs?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nyal - as things are going more and more to the digital domain, some audiophiles I know are using the Pro DAC from Metric Halo that comes with many features that you want (xover, various filters & slopes, 8 output channels, XLR) and even more goodies when you buy the DSP add-on software package. And to boot, it's an exceptional sounding DAC that can connect via firewire to your Mac computer.

Just a thought . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.