AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HT will be in the basement, which sits on a concrete slab. My gut tells me that I might need a more powerful and/or lower-reaching sub than I would need if the HT were located on the main floor.

Does anybody have any experience with this? The basement will be very open with the main HT area being about 20 feet square, but the only hard, full-length walls make the real room size 20' x 38'. I wouldn't want to rumble the entire basement, but I would like to get some decent low-freq musical response, as well as the HT boom in movies.

Obviously, I will have to optimize the sub's location, but I'm just planning all of my purchases at this time.

Any experience and suggestions for power requirements would be suggested. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well...how much are you anticipating for expenses? I know you said you don't want to shake the basement, but I think it is better to overshoot your mark than undershoot. I got a VMPS larger sub a month or so ago and I am still in out and out awe of it. I posted my impressions about it in a different thread here, but I forgot what it is called. To summarize though, this thing is more than a beast...it's frightening. I think that you could rumble your whole house even with a pair of VMPS original subs powered by a QSC PLX 1602 amp, OR if you went for a single larger sub (or dual subs for house shake ability) you could power it with a PLX 2402. The total price for either option would be around $2000 depending on what you want on your subs...mine has the soundcoating and megawoofers. I have never heard one without the coat and woofers so I can't compare them. All I can say is that I have nothing but positive feelings for my sub.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If you are concerned about putting too much bass to the other areas, along with the fact that you have a pretty big open space, one placement option would to put the sub near-field, like somewhere pretty close to the listening position. When it is place in such area, you are in close proximity to the sub, so you hear much more direct sound. This will give you much more of the impact, along with not creating that much SPL for the rest of the room. You would end up with a smaller sub than if it was placed farther out into the room.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Won't do much for music, but look into getting some "tactile inducers" aka "bass shakers." Stick them on your furniture and you will feel the bass in the movies no matter how big your room is.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Although I can't give any 1st hand impressions of the VMPS, My friends have. Mine arrived broken. It was returned.

I know at least 4 people who got working ones and they are all extremly happy with the sub. (Onmly wish things had gone well for me.) They all got at least 1 if not 2 megawoofers.

As for Tactile transducers. I have a Buttkicker mounted to my chair. It is plenty fast enough to compliment music. Plus it scares the heck out of guests for the first action movie they watch here. The Buttkicker allows you to get a smaller sub or to not play the sub so loud as to shake other rooms. But the Buttkicker will blur vision and pound like something all togther different.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards an SVS 16-46PCi. I suspect the effect of the concrete floor will be smaller than I thought, but I just might not get ALL of the typical gain that is quoted when going from the anechoic chamber to a typical room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.