AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is a good sized room, 3000 cubic feet. Most will point you to SVS and HSU, both great companies. The HSU VTF-2 is in your price range as is the SVS PB12-NSD. Both should be more than enough for your room and offer good sound quality. If you can stretch your budget a bit, the Empire Epik at $800 is a new sub that is very popular.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreyn /forum/post/18310549

That is a good sized room, 3000 cubic feet. Most will point you to SVS and HSU, both great companies. The HSU VTF-2 is in your price range as is the SVS PB12-NSD. Both should be more than enough for your room and offer good sound quality. If you can stretch your budget a bit, the Empire Epik at $800 is a new sub that is very popular.

The empire will run about 920 after shipping. You could probably nab a good used sub in that price range.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18311833

Look at the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX while it is on sale. It is a rockin' sub at a fantastic price right now, probably just a tad over 600 shipped.

I owned an hsu vtf3 mk3 which hsu says has some advantages over the outlaw and IMO it would not be enough for that size room.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'd have to go with SVS or eD in this case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your recommendations. The sub I am using now is an 15 years old 10" sub made by EOSONE. I am sure any of the subs you recommend would be much better than what I have right now. In your opinion which of these subs would be the best bang for my $600 budget:

SVS PB12-NSD

ED A3-300

HSU VTF2-MK3

OUTLAW LFM-1 EX

If I can up my budget to $800 what would you recommend?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Unfortunately many companies don't make a product to service that market and jump from 500/600 to closer to 1000. The epik empire looks like it is 800 but then shipping gets you.

If you have the ability to use a brad nailer and somewhere you can paint/carpet it then this is by far your best value without going true DIY

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=907

For a finished sub this has been compared fav orably to the mfw-15 and does not have the QC issues:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=618

I think either of these is much better for your large room. I doubt the hsu or outlaw models will fill that space.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just ordered the HSU VTF2-Mk3 for $568 shipped. I may order another one at a later date for a dual setup. I will post the result once I got it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers and love it. I went with HSU VTF2-Mk3 sub instead of the new Ultra sub from Emotiva because VTF2 has been in production for a long time. It's performance is proven and has great review. The Ultra sub, on the other hand, is relatively new and its performance hasn't gotten review yet. For me it was a no brainer to go with VTF2.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

The current VTF 2 is awesome as it really is the last generation VTF-3 with a slightly less powerful Amplifier. Just an awesome value for under 600 Dollars.

Cheers,

JJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts