AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im looking for a sub that'll be good for rap, hip hop, dub step etc. i know nothing about subs. my budget is $200-300. i live in the washington dc area if anyone wants to help me look for a sub on craigslist.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
hi John,

I'll break it to you...' music only' sounds great... until you mention dub... that puts you into the heart of serious Home Theater quality subs. And you will not get that quality for your stated budget of 2-300 $. Not new, anyway. Skip that CL svs sub... discontinued 8 - 9 years ago... it's old and 'very' used.

With that budget, for brand new, and your wants, I'd look at the energy S10.3 for sale , um.. today's the last day, at the new egg, for 190 $... it'll get as close as you can hope for the money. click here :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026

this little gem won't fill a huge room, nor will it produce 'club' sound levels, but for the price, you can't realistically expect either. It will go deep, and moderately loud, in a small to ... cough, cough... medium room, depending on ... room size, openings to other rooms, preferred listening volumes, and realistic expectations.

OK, for a small room, not cranked too loud, it'll beat anything else out there, for the price, IMO, YMMV . Or up your budget.. or lower your expectations. Not trying to harsh on ya, but truth.

It's the best 'sub' 200 $ sub available today, period.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
well, other that the fact that it's "No longer available..." It still doesn't touch the energy I posted a link to above...

I've done very well finding deals... and this is a steal, for what it is...there is nothing else available FOR THE PRICE. And it's brand new. Part of getting a good deal... no, a great deal.. is recognizing one when it pops up... the other part is having the cojones to pull the trigger...

For your stated budget, and the tendency of peeps saying, "If you can afford this much more, get this..." I'd say... get 2 now. They've NEVER been this cheap. And they may never be again.

Joseph

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You can get great response in a stadium size room, if you put the sub right beside your seat... but not so much for the other seats... Your budget is the limiting factor, based on what you've stated. I have a 12 x 14.5 room, and I have 2 HSU VTF 3 mk 3's... and I still want more...

Yes, , that's almost 5 times your max budget... So you see what a slippery slope it is ! If the VTF 15 had been an option.... well, what if's suck...

2 Energy 10.3's, for less than 400 $ ... brand new... with a warranty... not counting tax, (only 3 states are subject to Newegg tax ) but free shipping... um.... even for rap, hip-hop, and dubstep... the lowest note on a bass guitar is 41 hz... anything lower, except orchestral or church pipe organs, is electronic , techno , synthesizer.... and it's not like it'll sound bad, it just wont make much sound... it can't produce what it can't . And the S10.3 will get you down to at least 22-23 hz, +/- 3 db, probably better with corner placement.

Will it produce the earth, seat-shaking effects from the Pod Emergence scene from The War of the Worlds, or make a glass of water reverberate like the first time you see it in Jurassic Park? NO !! But no sub will under $200. That's not what you asked for. Will you be incredibly impressed for 'music only'? YES !! Moreso than ANY sub available for less than your budget dictates. Are there better subs out there? You betcha, but not for that $$.

Joseph

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info! looks like im going to pull the trigger. but one last question, is it powered/active??

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Jonh,

PM recieved and replied to, but for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread:

It is self-powered, or 'active'... so using a crossover of 80hz (or lower, if your other speakers are capable, or higher, if using less capable 'satellite' speakers) will take strain off your AVR, and enable your other speakers to do a better job. or with less demand placed upon them, reproducing from 80 hz and up, without the 'burden' of trying to reproduce those low frequencies, that the sub(s) can reproduce 'better', or 'with less strain' , as that's whats they're made to do.

Joseph

1 - 9 of 9 Posts