AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GUys,

I'm looking to make a small speaker setup that I can take where ever (camping?, to the park?) , that will sound a titch better than a standard boom box. I can find outdoor speakers, some cheap car amps and maybe use a car battery to power all of it, but I wanted the system to have a bit more warmth, or punch in the lower range.. perhaps added subwoofer?

Now, I won't have a lot of room for a big enclosure, the smaller the better (8" max prolly). I don't want this entire sound setup being any bigger than say 2 feet by 2 feet.

Does the type of enclosure matter if this thing is just gonna be sitting out in the grass somewhere? Since there's nothing but the grass below for the sound to bounce off, will I even hear the subwoofer? I've never heard about doing anything like this, so i thought I'd get some input from you guys first.

·
Registered
273 Posts
In a free-air outdoor environment, a 8" sub in a 2x2 box isn't going to provide much impact, but it would be better than nothing. My personal recommendation would be to get an automotive style ported subwoofer enclosure with 2x10" or 2x12" subs, a 12V DC amplifier, and a deep cycle battery. Face the ports and subs towards the audience.

Greg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts