AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AVSers,

I have a small basement theater that I am furnishing at the moment. Currently I have an all Klipsch setup with the RP-3s as my mains; they feature sealed 10" subs in each tower and sound very good. However, they don't extend down very low and at louder volumes they "pop", leading me to believe they are being overdriven. I keep them at the lowest gain on the speaker amps and near-mid gain on the Yamaha receiver. I love the sound but wish for a bit more headroom (at least no popping) and possibly some more extension. I am very eager to build a sub.

So, the room is small, which should benefit me. It is 12x13x7, so it is easy to get great bass. My question is how to best go about it. I don't have a huge budget, so I am looking at Dayton subs from partsexpress. I am looking at their 15" woofers, which I have modeled in winISD; the problem is I am getting a large drop in frequency drop with a sealed setup no matter which sub I use. It seems to drop around 30hz; this seems high. The -3db point is right around 30hz, and while this is surely lower than my current subs I can't help but feel it isn't low enough. Will my room correct this? Can I achieve low, loud bass in my tiny theater with a sealed 15" sub? Please help! I can go 18" if I need it, but everything I have read suggests that is complete overkill. Please advise!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Probably not with just one sub, Use two. 30Hz is about right for a -3dB point. And yes, your room might help things out down low. If not, you can EQ to get some more output, or sacrifice bandwidth and use a vented, bandpass or horn enclosure.

JSS

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
That's a pretty small room. You could try a single Dayton 15" and add a second should you need to.

I've used a sealed SDX-15 with over 1kW in a room not much bigger than that and it wasn't enough.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
If you want output to the low 20's, you could go ported. Tuned to 20hz, there's a few 12" and 15" options that will work. I think the Bash500 has a built in subsonic filter around 19-20hz.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'd rather not go ported, as this is my first build and I want to keep it very simple. Plus, I like the idea of a sealed design, as I believe they are less inclined to blow themselves (something about the ported's lack of back pressure allowing the driver to go past Xmax).

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWash1
I believe they are less inclined to blow themselves (something about the ported's lack of back pressure allowing the driver to go past Xmax).
That's what subsonic filters are for.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Two subs would be better. I think a pair of Dayton 15" would be nice. EQ the rest in a sealed cabinet and you should be happy. Seeing that the 12" is close to the same price as the 15" I would just go for the bigger one.

If you cant afford it yet then just get one 15" Dayton for now. You could do a plate amp to have it look nice and neat or power amp for future sub.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWash1
I'm trying to get reasonable output into the low 20s; is this possible? How would I EQ the sub (dumb question, I know)?
Max's reply may have gone unnoticed, but his first choice is the easiest; use a plate amp that has a range sub-sonic boost curves and a PEQ.

I have the O-audio 500W amp, which fits this description. The Usage Guide has measurements taken with a TC Sounds sub at each of 4 SSF settings, plus examples of PEQ usage.
http://oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html

I've measured mine, running a single 3 cu ft sealed Tempest X, and I'm roughly flat at the listening position to about 10Hz. Your room will have more room gain (it's smaller) and present more challenges (concrete walls) than mine did, but that's another thread.

Have fun,

Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.