AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HT set up consisting of Yamaha DSP 800 receiver, Cadence Diva speakers. It sounds great but to add the "Punch" I added Yamaha YST 160 Sub. It does add the Punch but within a few minutes I start getting headache. I tried changing frequency cut off, volume on the Sub but the problem persists. The moment I shut the sub off headache disappears like magic. Is it thebad quality Sub of the set up is wrong?

JD

·
Registered
337 Posts
I suspect that there is some kind of reverberation in your room set up by the sub.

Its possible that some bass trps or similar would improve things drastically.

Jon Risch's quick and dirty traps owuld be a simple way of doing it.

Bass traps can have a dramatic improvement on your sound anyway.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Where is the sub located? If it is in a corner, try moving it to the center of a wall. Try several locations to see if things improve.

The bass traps that dave c mentioned can be read about here. On Jon Risch's website.

The bass traps detailed are broadband low frequency absorbers that will help "soak up" resonant bass frequencies. They will not harm your overall frequency response, they will tighten things up by reducing the decay time in the low frequency range. They are best placed in the corners of your room. More is better. The larger the trap, the lower frequencies it can absorb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the low frequency sound is non directional can I place the sub facing sideways instead of facing forward ? How do Subs differ in the "Tightness" of bass category

·
Registered
711 Posts
"Tightness" is a function of both the sub design, the room, and the subs placement. "Tight" bass is normally bass that is relatively free from long resonances, resonance gives bass that boomy sound.

Try any position for the sub, choose the one that sounds best.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Jaydeep,

When you (if you) start to use something like a bass trap, you may first hear "less" bass and wonder why you botheres...

But a little perseverence "usually" leads to the discovery that you have a leaner sound with clearer deeper bass.

Its a very neat trick.

Especially is you have a suspended floor, you might consider de-coupling your subwoofer from the floor as you might be causing the space under the floor to act as a soundbox and create BOOM.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Jay, you may well have the sub level too high. It should be just audible under most conditions. Have you set your channel levels with an analog sound-level meter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I have not. At what level should I set various speakers if I manage to get the sound meter.

JD

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Quote:
At what level should I set various speakers if I manage to get the sound meter.
You will need an SPL meter and test tones. Play a 1 khz test tone and adjust your volume to where the SPL meter reads 80 dB. The sweep the test tones from about 200hz to 20hz (or below if your sub is capable) and try adjust the response to the same level.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Otherwise, use the sound-level test-tone built into your pre/pro or receiver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.