AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

So I'm at that point where I need to buy a sub. I've decided on two 12" subs and I'm a bit size constrained with the placement. I've looked at SVS and ED as well a few others. There are two ED subs that interest me; A3-300 (ported) and the A5s-300 (sealed). The subs will be placed in the two openings (left and right) below the display area (pic below). The A3-300 will barely fit into the opening. How much cooling air do the sub's amps need?

What are the advantage of each one? Which one will be better for the room The room size is 17w x 21d x 8.5h.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuegerich /forum/post/18223597

Ok,

So I'm at that point where I need to buy a sub. I've decided on two 12" subs and I'm a bit size constrained with the placement. I've looked at SVS and ED as well a few others. There are two ED subs that interest me; A3-300 (ported) and the A5s-300 (sealed). The subs will be placed in the two openings (left and right) below the display area (pic below). The A3-300 will barely fit into the opening. How much cooling air do the sub's amps need?

What are the advantage of each one? Which one will be better for the room The room size is 17w x 21d x 8.5h.

Two A3-300 would be great for that room but the spot isn't good for subs to perform at their peak, IMO. I would look at locating the subs within the room somewhere else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. For aesthetics I'd prefer to keep the subs below the display. Although I could possibly put them at the back of the room.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The idea of putting subs in those spaces may look nice, but is really not a good idea. Especially for rear ported subs. You may have about a 1% chance that those locations will yield you the best sound in that room no matter what the sub design is. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I could not agree more with the above posts. Your proposed location would yield, honestly, almost the worst possible sound.

I understand aesthetics play a prominent role in many Living Room HT's. Especially if Married or living with Someone, but the results of placing a Subwoofer in a cubby hole so to speak would yield a rattle trap.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess my thought was to go with a front firing sub to minimize the "cubby hole" interference. The sealed sub is front firing, and the ported sub has front firing - front porting.

I do have the option of putting the subs in the back of the room, but that doesn't seem like a good option either.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Just because the sub is front firing, or front ported, or sealed, does not mean that those cubby spaces will be good for a subs performance. If you are not worried about performance than this may not matter to you. From a performance perspective. It is most likely not the best place for the subs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts