AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone.

I recently finished my basement theatre and am completely happy with the end results. To some people on here, its probably bottom line but its what i could comfortably afford. Here's just a brief description of what i have audio wise:

DENON 2310ci

INWALL Tech 7.1 surrounds

HSU STF-2 subwoofer

BELKIN line conditioner/surger protector

My issue:

Once i had everything installed i ran the speaker set-up through the denon. I am happy with how the 7 inwall speakers sound. The issues is with that .1 which is throwing me for a loop. I did the crawl test and the sub is in the front left corner of the room and off the walls by a few inches(if i'm looking at the TV the sub is to on my left). When i watch a movie and a scene with heavy bass plays, the sub sounds like its bottoming out/distorting at times. I need help figuring out what the subwoofer settings need to be. Phase is set to 0. Now the volume and crossover frequency settings has be baffled.

In my younger days i was into car audio big time. Tuning a sub was easy as pie compared to tuning a HT subwoofer. Can someone walk me through the steps one by one so i can get the optimal sound that sub is meant to put out. Here are some questions that have been messing with my head

1. Whats the best crossover frequency to set the sub at

2. When i run the speaker set-up on the denon, what levels do i need to set the sub at?

3. What settings on the Denon do i need to use to help tune the sub

4. Are there settings on my PS3 i need to set in relevance to the subwoofer

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
30,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k140db /forum/post/20901061

2. When i run the speaker set-up on the denon, what levels do i need to set the sub at?

1. Set the crossover on the sub to bypass or, if necessary, as high as possible.

2. In the middle and see if the Audyssey results are reasonable.

3. Audyssey setup and EQ.

4. Not if you are using HDMI.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good evening everyone.

I recently finished my basement theatre and am completely happy with the end results. To some people on here, its probably bottom line but its what i could comfortably afford. Here's just a brief description of what i have audio wise:

DENON 2310ci

INWALL Tech 7.1 surrounds

HSU STF-2 subwoofer

BELKIN line conditioner/surger protector

My issue:

Once i had everything installed i ran the speaker set-up through the denon. I am happy with how the 7 inwall speakers sound. The issues is with that .1 which is throwing me for a loop. I did the crawl test and the sub is in the front left corner of the room and off the walls by a few inches(if i'm looking at the TV the sub is to on my left). When i watch a movie and a scene with heavy bass plays, the sub sounds like its bottoming out/distorting at times. I need help figuring out what the subwoofer settings need to be. Phase is set to 0. Now the volume and crossover frequency settings has be baffled.

In my younger days i was into car audio big time. Tuning a sub was easy as pie compared to tuning a HT subwoofer. Can someone walk me through the steps one by one so i can get the optimal sound that sub is meant to put out. Here are some questions that have been messing with my head

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

______

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
As a check, the sub cable should be connected from the Subwoofer Preout on the Denon to the sub in on the sub. On the sub, set crossover switch to out, phase to 0, and volume/gain to about the 10:00 position.

Run the Audyssey setup per the instructions in the Denon manual starting on page 23. Once complete, go to page 28 and set all speaker channels to small. On page 29, set the subwoofer mode to LFE or LFE+Main (doesn't matter if all speakers are set to small). Set the LPF for LFE to 120.

Now, go to page 30 and set all the speaker channel crossovers to 80.

Audyssey should have set the channel volumes and distance properly. If things still don't sound right. Then come back here and we can go through channel level settings. You will need an SPL meter to do this.

·
Registered
730 Posts
In addition to what's already been suggested, keep in mind an often overlooked variable; source material. Simply put, not all sound tracks are created equal. I've always run into a movie here and there, where I had to back off the level and/or x-over point to make the movie tolerable. It happens. Not that often, but it does become necessary sometimes.

But from what you've described, taking it at face value, I'd start by decreasing the level. This will likely solve your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts