Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am set to buy what will hopefully be my last piece of equipment for a while......

I am looking at subwoofers and have narrowed my choice down to the HSU VTF-3 MK 2 and the SVS PB2-ISD. My space and wife will not allow a cylinder sub. Given the $300.00 difference between the subs, I am leaning heavily to the HSU. Do any of you have any recommendations?

My room measurements are 17'1 x 15'4 x 9' (2357.96 ft^3)

Thanks

ArtV

·
Registered
843 Posts
Since you have the WAF to deal with, I'm thinking the PB2-ISD's size might get you in trouble. Either sub will perform great. Since you have almost made up your mind to get the Hsu, get it! For the price it's gonna be a winner.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Show your wife both and let her decide which one. You'll be happy with either and if she helps with the decision she'll be less inclined to tell you to send it back and get a smaller (lesser) sub.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I would say due to the WAF your wife will probably flip if she sees how BIG the PB2-ISD. Both subs are winners, but the HSU will win you both over in the compromising category.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
My space and wife will not allow a cylinder sub. I can't believe that unless you live on a boat. Why can't you have a cylinder sub? That's the reason that I'm thinking about the TN-1220HO cylinder sub. It doesn't take up alot of room. I think I'm missing something.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I have heard great things about SVS subs but have only heard them at HiFi shows. However, owning a VTF-3R, I can't imagine anyone not being totally satisfied with it. Get the Hsu and save the money. JMHO,

John

·
Registered
945 Posts
What kind of space do you need to put this in? You can lie a cylindrical sub on your side, and they generally have smaller footprints than their boxed counterparts.

But you should be very happy with either one, imo.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. After speaking with the good Dr, I ordered a VTF-3 MK2. It appears that the new subs were received on Friday and will begin shipping Monday. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Plasmatic, I suppose you are correct, the footprint of the cylinder sub is small and it will fit in my room. It would look intersting having a four foot high tube in my room though. I guess since my wife would probably leave, it would actually create some room............

ArtV

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
"I guess since my wife would probably leave, it would actually create some room............"

And the problem with this is..............................?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine didn't notice my 25-31 Cylinder for a while since it was in back of the couch.. Now it's in front.. Never one complaint or nagging, which is odd..... maybe it's a phallic symbol???

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
ArtV

I'm right with ya on a Mk2 order. Jan27 for me.

I assume the Dr. gave this shipping info in a reply not specific to

your order. I don't have a notice yet.

E

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thedeskE,

You are correct, he replied to my comment that I hoped they were on pace for the 2/12 arrival by saying they had already arrived. He was not replying to my specific order. It appears that the free shipping offer was canceled just after my order. I also haven't received a notice. Since HSU said they wouldn't charge until the item ships, I am going to keep an eye on my credit card and see when it is charged. Here's hoping we made the initial shipment!

ArtV

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Sasha posted on HSU's forum that all the orders up until about today will ship, any new orders will be backordered until March for the MK2 VTF-3.

Must be a hell of a demand. :D

HSU sends tracking info the night the sub ships; at least that is what happened when I ordered my TN subs.

Sorny

·
Registered
900 Posts
With less than half the wattage... is the HSU sub better than the SVS PB2+?

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
mavromatis,

You have to define "better" in your own terms. The VTF-3MK2 also costs less than the PB2+, and has one driver as opposed to two.

There are also sound quality differences and output level differences.

When it comes to well engineered subs....wattage is not going to tell you a whole lot.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Better as in, in a better sub... lower lows, more output, and better sound quality. I'd expect the SVS to out perform the HSU...

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Perhaps it would be better to talk about the performance of 1 or the other and not who's better.

Too bad the name of the string has vs. in it.

Dave has a bloody axe lately and a drudging task (`The Horror!')

We should send him a nice wet rag and a clean shirt

E

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.