AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RCA Direct TV satellite receiver. When I listen to the audio through my surround sound system, I get a low hum or rumble through the subwoofer. The receiver is showing that sound is only coming through the left and right speakers. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Yeto

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Need more information:

* What's your receiver brand/model number?

* How is your DirecTV receiver connected to the receiver? Which cables/connections are you using?

* Can you hear the rumble using a headphone with your receiver?

* Does the rumble change if you change your receiver surround modes?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Panasonic XR25S receiver

Optical

The only lights that light up on the receiver are left speaker and right speaker with the programs that I have listened to so far. Are only a few programs sent in surround sound? Should the surround sound features still work even if the program is not in surround sound (simulated surround sound)?

Thanks, Yeto

·
Registered
275 Posts
Check a few things

1) Different power outlets. Your problem could be caused by a ground-loop. (To elimiate this, try plugging into the SAME outlet as what the rest of the equipment is on)

2) Cable to sub. Make sure it is decent stuff. If you have poorly shielded cable, or bad connections, or a bad ground-loop-isolater (that one took me a bit to realize... :) ) it can introduce some noise. Make this wire as short as possible to test.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
A couple more things to check to ensure that you have Dolby Digital Surround enabled:

* Check the menus on your RCA DirecTV receiver to ensure that you've enabled the Dolby Digital 5.1 option. I know that the DirecTV+Tivo receivers have this setting, but I'm not sure about stand-alone DirecTV receivers.

* You are correct that only a few shows are broadcast in true Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. These are a few PPV movies and selected movies on HBO, Showtime, Starz and a few other premium movie channels. Most other movies are broadcast in two-channel stereo which your receiver should decode using a Pro-Logic or Pro-Logic II mode.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have this same issue with my HDVR2 connected via optical to my Panasonic X45 (the 25's "big" brother). It's only an issue with the HDVR2, audio thru my DVD via optical and via my HTL-HD HDTV reciver don't have this issue. I did set the DD 5.1 option on the HDVR2. I haven't had a chance to play with the different sound modes yet to try things like DPLII and other assorted effects, so it may be something along those lines that is the problem.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.