AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a powered sub, it used to hum when using spdif from computer to AV. Now, the sub has a volume knob and is connected using 2 Y's, one from the sub and the other one at the AV receiver Sub out. I just connected the Y from the receiver into VCR rec and I just set the volume from the sub. You MUST get the Subwoofer option on your amp OFF though. Hope it helps, it is so frustrating to hear that !"#$%& hum. This fix is around 70 dlls but for you is free.:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
Hello, I have a powered sub, it used to hum when using spdif from computer to AV. Now, the sub has a volume knob and is connected using 2 Y's, one from the sub and the other one at the AV receiver Sub out. I just connected the Y from the receiver into VCR rec and I just set the volume from the sub. You MUST get the Subwoofer option on your amp OFF though. Hope it helps, it is so frustrating to hear that !"#$%& hum. This fix is around 70 dlls but for you is free.:laugh::laugh:
Ummm...what? :confused:

Are you saying your sub is connected to your AVR via the VCR REC out jack and the SUB out jack??

That is certainly not the preferred way to eliminate a ground loop hum, but if it works for you...... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Madmax67

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm...what? :confused:

Are you saying your sub is connected to your AVR via the VCR REC out jack and the SUB out jack??

That is certainly not the preferred way to eliminate a ground loop hum, but if it works for you...... :rolleyes:
Only VCR out ;) well, no buzz for me :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you think about it, the AV receiver thinks that something is being recorded so it sends the audio out through the rec out, so... why not send it to your sub, it will emit only low frequencies anyways.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
This is a JVC 884V, I believe so! The only bass management to be done is the one from the level knob on your sub. I suggest if it works for you just add a level knob for your sub.
If you think about it, the AV receiver thinks that something is being recorded so it sends the audio out through the rec out, so... why not send it to your sub, it will emit only low frequencies anyways.
There's more to bass management than the output level of your sub. Do you have a low pass filter adjustment on your sub? What sub is it? Do you use the sub for LFE content only or do you use it to redirect bass content from the speakers as well?

I do understand that a line out, such as you're using, would send a full range signal. If you didn't have the option of bass management, as is the case on much 2ch gear for example, then that may be one way to still utilize a sub, albeit not ideal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's more to bass management than the output level of your sub. Do you have a low pass filter adjustment on your sub? What sub is it? Do you use the sub for LFE content only or do you use it to redirect bass content from the speakers as well?

I do understand that a line out, such as you're using, would send a full range signal. If you didn't have the option of bass management, as is the case on much 2ch gear for example, then that may be one way to still utilize a sub, albeit not ideal.
This is the sub http://www.ebay.com/itm/252503959351?rmvSB=true
I get what you are saying loveinthehd but let me tell ya this sub only emits low frequency frequencies, maybe it is the way it is built. Now, the sub does not emit the bass range from the speakers since the speakers emit optical signal and the sub emits analog. Not ideal but...hey what is "ideal" now anyhow? If you have this buzz problem, try it, you don't like it? Don't do it. By the way... the sub that I have only allows LFE cable, but I am using a RCA Y.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
It may have a fixed filter if has no low pass filter adjustment. I don't see much on that but looks like part of an 5.1 speaker set called the SA-VE325....you only have the sub? Don't see much on the Sony site but don't see how (let alone why) the speakers would be connected with optical cables. speakers don't emit any signals, and not audio optical signals in any case. Active subs generally use analog inputs. The speakers, if set to small, would have a crossover applied (it's in your receiver manual) high pass filter applied to them, and a low pass for the sub (if using the sub pre-out), otherwise you are likely duplicating frequencies in the sub and speakers (which is the goal of bass management, to control that point at which they trade off duties so to speak).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It may have a fixed filter if has no low pass filter adjustment. I don't see much on that but looks like part of an 5.1 speaker set called the SA-VE325....you only have the sub? Don't see much on the Sony site but don't see how (let alone why) the speakers would be connected with optical cables. speakers don't emit any signals, and not audio optical signals in any case. Active subs generally use analog inputs. The speakers, if set to small, would have a crossover applied (it's in your receiver manual) high pass filter applied to them, and a low pass for the sub (if using the sub pre-out), otherwise you are likely duplicating frequencies in the sub and speakers (which is the goal of bass management, to control that point at which they trade off duties so to speak).
1. Yes, I only have the sub.
2. The speakers receive optical output from the computer through an optical cable to the receiver. I use a computer to play old dvds.
3. Yes, the sub is working through RCAs.
4. The crossover to the speakers is 120 Hz, it can be set through the receiver.
5. The sub can not be managed but it just does not emit any HFE TBH. Honestly a sub like this doubtedly would in any case emit other than Low Frequencies.
6. The speakers do not really have deep bass at all, the sub picks the frequencies that the speakers do not.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
1. Yes, I only have the sub.
2. The speakers receive optical output from the computer through an optical cable to the receiver. I use a computer to play old dvds.
3. Yes, the sub is working through RCAs.
4. The crossover to the speakers is 120 Hz, it can be set through the receiver.
5. The sub can not be managed but it just does not emit any HFE TBH. Honestly a sub like this doubtedly would in any case emit other than Low Frequencies.
6. The speakers do not really have deep bass at all, the sub picks the frequencies that the speakers do not.
Thanks for the additional info, gives a better picture of what you have.

1. But does it have any adjustment for low pass filter (might be labeled crossover)? Or is this how you're saying it doesn't?
2. Normal
3 & 4. So speakers are set to small, with a crossover of 120hz (and thus are using redirected bass from your speakers as I was wondering about earlier).
5. Subs can be managed by the avr; some have more on-board management tools than others. What is HFE? Trying to determine what the sub can play (I'd stop using the word "emit").
6. That's the goal to have speakers play where they're best and the sub where it's best, but you're not providing much information on how this might be happening, altho it could, its more likely at this point your overlap isn't ideal.....but if that sounds good to you there's nothing wrong with that either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the additional info, gives a better picture of what you have.

1. But does it have any adjustment for low pass filter (might be labeled crossover)? Or is this how you're saying it doesn't?
2. Normal
3 & 4. So speakers are set to small, with a crossover of 120hz (and thus are using redirected bass from your speakers as I was wondering about earlier).
5. Subs can be managed by the avr; some have more on-board management tools than others. What is HFE? Trying to determine what the sub can play (I'd stop using the word "emit").
6. That's the goal to have speakers play where they're best and the sub where it's best, but you're not providing much information on how this might be happening, altho it could, its more likely at this point your overlap isn't ideal.....but if that sounds good to you there's nothing wrong with that either.
1. The sub does not have low pass filter, it is rated at 60 Hz though, I do not know if that expresses the limits of soundwave range.

2. Normal

3 and 4. Actually the speakers are small (see pictures attached), Oh! BTW since this receiver has an EQ included I turned it off and actually use the one from the Realtek HD manager which is not that bad at all. (I use the one that says SOFT, brings up mid and highs quite well).

5. HFE (High Freq Effects)is the opposite to LFE :D. The sub plays IMO deep frequencies only. For example, if someone is speaking you do not hear any bass coming from the speakers nor the sub UNLESS it is a monster or something, a deep voice you know? word emit deleted :D

I included pictures of the setup and the location of the sub as well. I do not have any overlap, the 5 speakers just play L, R, Center, Surr L and Surr R and the sub provides a deep deep deep bass when it is needed, it is set to a low volume because it really rumbles if you turn it up, I think as I stated before this sub only provides 60Hz frequencies it feels like it. So speakers are set at 120hz and sub at 60.

This is my setup (quite vintage btw)

Onkyo tx-sv303pro
-1 rca center
-2 speakers for L and 2 for R(RCA and Sony, so 2 for L and 2 for R, 1 at the front other one at the back)
-1 RCA speaker for surr L another one for Right
-1 sony sub (the same for both receivers, I just change RCAs

I use this one for music and it plays through 3.5 from the computer, I used a double 3.5 female so I connected the sub and the 3.5-RCA to the receiver...is kinda like a mess but what I want to say is that from the computer I send audio to the onkyo and to the sub at the same time by using Video1 input. Remember, the receiver is not connected to the sub, the computer is.

JVC 884V

I use other five speakers for this one
-jbl center
-2 speakers for L another one for R (1 RCA and other one is Sony, see pics)
-1 pioneer speaker for surr L and another one for R
-1 sony Sub (the same sub)

I use it for movies played from the PC through SPDIF. The 5 speakers play L, C, R , Surr R and L and the sub plays its role.

So, if I am going to watch a movie I connect the plugs coming from the sub as RCAs to the JVC into the Y, and if I will use the PC I connect the RCA plugs coming from the sub to the RCA female coming from the 3.5 from the PC.

sigh it is kinda complicated but it was my idea to do it like this and it sounds as I wanted, I attached some pics!

View from the closet where the sub is IN.

Closet

Sub specs

Front view of the desk

Left side, black speaker is RCA surr L for Onkyo and gray for JVC, One sony for JVC another one for Onkyo (these are connected as Front spéakers not surround, the sony ones)

Left speakers Front, one Onkyo one JVC behind TV

Receivers

Centers, JBL-JVC, RCA-Onkyo, under the desk not seen

Right front speakers

Right surround speakers RCa is for onkyo, gray pioneer for JVC and a Sony for onkyo and another one for JVC (these are connected as Front spéakers not surround, the sony ones)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts