AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I recently got a new Yamaha AV receiver and my subwoofer hums...and it is now driving me nuts! I bought a good quality RCA cable to connect my subwoofer to the receiver but that didn't help. I then purchased a Tripplite Home Theater A/V Surge Suppressor and plugged all my devices into it and again, no luck. Unplugging my cable internet coax cable from the wall does nothing. When the receiver's on and playing something and the subwoofer is humming I unplug the RCA cable from the receiver and the humming drops significantly but doesn't go away completely. I'm about to buy a ground loop isolator but don't want to throw away any more money if the subwoofer's the culprit. When the subwoofer is humming it now seems to shut off by itself. The only way I can get it back on is to pull the power from it. It then powers off and then a minute later makes a pretty loud, short humming sound and then goes silent. Is it dead?

Thanks for any info...feel like a moron for spending so much money for a sound system that hums!

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Try a cheater plug first to see if it is a ground loop. If not, the sub will need repair. If it is a ground loop, there are many threads about troubleshooting, and of course we can help in this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks....I went out and bought the isolator and the hum was even worse than with my good RCA cable. After fiddling around with the cable and re-positioning the subwoofer the hum has gone surprisingly down for now....fingers crossed that I won't be back!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.