AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help as this is driving me crazy. I have two klipsch r-115sw subs and both were purchased new within the last 12 months. Over the weekend i noticed that both are humming when i turn everything off. I listened more closely and they also buzz/humm if the system is on and there is no bass coming out. They might have been doing this since new and I never realized it or it could be something new. I have read all about the infamous ground loop and have tried all the suggestions for that. I unplugged the coax cable coming in from outside for our cable service. I have tried using different surge protectors and power strips. I have plugged the subs into different outlets along the same wall. I have tried different sub cables and even tried setting up one sub using a wireless connection. I also purchased a ground loop isolator and that didn鈥檛 help.Absolutely nothing is helping. Are these subs just prone to this humming noise? It is seriously driving me nuts. Now i am thinking about selling both of them and trying something else??

Am i missing something somewhere and is there something else i should be trying? When i turn the subs off using the power toggle on the back of each sub, the hum goes away. It also goes away if I leave the subs in standby mode after about 15-20 minutes of not receiving a signal.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Trust me... you didn't use the right coaxial cable for the subs. The same humming/buzzing noise happened to me and this completely fixed it (use whatever length you need)...

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2684&seq=1&format=2

Do what you will, but as far as I know, this is the cheapest option! :rolleyes:

I suppose it can鈥檛 hurt to try. I have spent so much money on cables and ground loop isolators already, what鈥檚 another $20? You really think this is the solution though? I have tried audio quest cables and the rocket fish cables from Best Buy and the humming is still there with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I suppose it can鈥檛 hurt to try. I have spent so much money on cables and ground loop isolators already, what鈥檚 another $20? You really think this is the solution though? I have tried audio quest cables and the rocket fish cables from Best Buy and the humming is still there with both.

i have two identical subs. one humms one doesnt. i took the cable out of the humming sub (connected to nothing except power) and its still present. had the sub for 9 yrs and its the same. i believe its the transformer just making a noise. much like a fridge at night you can hear that pitch haha

have you tried unplugging the cable and still here the humming?

Registered
The hum is usually 60Hz noise being picked up by your signal cable to the subs. Either they aren't plugged in all the way, the contacts are dirty, or you have long poorly shielded cables.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
i have two identical subs. one humms one doesnt. i took the cable out of the humming sub (connected to nothing except power) and its still present. had the sub for 9 yrs and its the same. i believe its the transformer just making a noise. much like a fridge at night you can hear that pitch haha

Yeah, they both still hum when I unplug the cable which leads me to believe the cables aren鈥檛 the problem. I ordered a couple new cables from mono price anyways just to see.

Registered

Yeah, they both still hum when I unplug the cable which leads me to believe the cables aren?t the problem. I ordered a couple new cables from mono price anyways just to see.

i read somewhere here that its normal to have some subs humming on standby. I never had an issue with my sub. unless i read the worse thing that could happen. but 9yrs on still going. still the same.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
i read somewhere here that its normal to have some subs humming on standby. I never had an issue with my sub. unless i read the worse thing that could happen. but 9yrs on still going. still the same.

I am not too worried about damaging the sub, it鈥檚 more my ocd now that I heard it

Premium Member
Trust me... you didn't use the right coaxial cable for the subs. The same humming/buzzing noise happened to me and this completely fixed it (use whatever length you need)...

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2684&seq=1&format=2

Do what you will, but as far as I know, this is the cheapest option! :rolleyes:

Very possible if using an RG59 coax cable, instead of RG6:)

Are those cables RCA normal cables, or also a coaxial style?
If coaxial, as the above quote is made of a RG59 cable instead of RG6, this could very well be your problem.
That said, if the Audio Quest and the Rocket Fish cables, use a normal RCA cable.
It could be more of a design problem, or defective subs (unlikely on two sub:eek:).

Ray

Premium Member
Yeah, they both still hum when I unplug the cable which leads me to believe the cables aren鈥檛 the problem. I ordered a couple new cables from mono price anyways just to see.

Then forget my last!

As you said, I think it is very safe to say, the cables are not at fault, but the subs themselves:eek:
I never had a sub once Off or the cable remove, still making noise.

Instead of throwing money on trying different cables, I would suggest to start looking into other subs:)
Since, I do not know what kind of money you are willing to spend, if going that way, I will edit and add some links of very well recommended ID company that make very good subs for a wide range of budget.

https://www.svsound.com/pages/subwoofers
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/subwoofers
and
http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

All 3 above are very well regarded in these forums and many others.

Ray

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Then forget my last!

As you said, I think it is very safe to say, the cables are not at fault, but the subs themselves:eek:
I never had a sub once Off or the cable remove, still making noise.

Instead of throwing money on trying different cables, I would suggest to start looking into other subs:)
Since, I do not know what kind of money you are willing to spend, if going that way, I will edit and add some links of very well recommended ID company that make very good subs for a wide range of budget.

https://www.svsound.com/pages/subwoofers
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/subwoofers
and
http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

All 3 above are very well regarded in these forums and many others.

Ray

Thanks Ray. I am pretty familiar with all of those subs. I had 2 SVS pb-1000鈥檚 but they were not filling the room. They had these klipsch R-115sw subs on sale for $500 each at fry鈥檚 so I bought these and sold the two SVS subs. The klipsch definitely puts out more being 15 inch subs, but now this humming is making me nuts.

Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs

If the subs are humming when you unplug the RCA cables then you've eliminated ground loop from RCA cables. No cable will matter. You could try clipping the ground prong off the power cord if it's a 3 prong cord (most are going to be 2 prong cords anyway because most manufacturers are already aware of this).

So the other option is to turn the volume on the subs way down and increase the input volume to the subs instead. That should cut your hum down a decent amount.

Registered
You could try clipping the ground prong off the power cord if it's a 3 prong cord
Heads up: there are inexpensive three-prong to two-prong converters out there that will allow you to avoid permanently damaging your power cord.

Reactions: Subsider

Registered
Hi,

I do have same issue with my B&W DBS4 subs, I am listening Humm noise, My Pro installer said it's called white noise which is normal, Nothing to worry and it won't damage subs.

Registered
some older homes have 3 wire - 2 positive with a common ground . this can cause a hum . what ive seen and done in the past is use quality surge protectors and keep the subs plugged in outlets as far away as possible from each other and in separate outlets and surge protectors . Ive seen the same with internally grounded turntables using preamps that are not internally grounded. Also having the sub level on the avr set to high can cause a hum but no if its doing it with cables unplugged .

Premium Member
I unplugged the coax cable coming in from outside for our cable service.
Try disconnecting the safety ground for the cable system, not just removing the coax cable. The safety ground is still connected to the coax from the pole, which is then still connected to your house. This was my problem - removing cable safety ground cured it. Simply undoing coax did nothing. So, Comcast came out an fixed by grounding incoming at house service panel. :) Worth a shot, it's free, try that for kicks.

Another option, Jensen Transofrmers:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/sub-2rr/

Hi,I do have same issue with my B&W DBS4 subs, I am listening Humm noise, My Pro installer said it's called white noise which is normal, Nothing to worry and it won't damage subs.
You should not hear any hiss or white noise from more than a few inches from the sub, maybe a foot, definitely not at the listening positions......

Registered
If the subs are humming when you unplug the RCA cables then you've eliminated ground loop from RCA cables. No cable will matter. You could try clipping the ground prong off the power cord if it's a 3 prong cord (most are going to be 2 prong cords anyway because most manufacturers are already aware of this).

So the other option is to turn the volume on the subs way down and increase the input volume to the subs instead. That should cut your hum down a decent amount.
Hi Mark,

Power conditioners may help to reduce humm noise from subs?

Registered
could it be the power cord? hmm may try this tonight.

Registered
I need some help as this is driving me crazy. I have two klipsch r-115sw subs and both were purchased new within the last 12 months. Over the weekend i noticed that both are humming when i turn everything off. I listened more closely and they also buzz/humm if the system is on and there is no bass coming out. They might have been doing this since new and I never realized it or it could be something new. I have read all about the infamous ground loop and have tried all the suggestions for that. I unplugged the coax cable coming in from outside for our cable service. I have tried using different surge protectors and power strips. I have plugged the subs into different outlets along the same wall. I have tried different sub cables and even tried setting up one sub using a wireless connection. I also purchased a ground loop isolator and that didn鈥檛 help.Absolutely nothing is helping. Are these subs just prone to this humming noise? It is seriously driving me nuts. Now i am thinking about selling both of them and trying something else??

Am i missing something somewhere and is there something else i should be trying? When i turn the subs off using the power toggle on the back of each sub, the hum goes away. It also goes away if I leave the subs in standby mode after about 15-20 minutes of not receiving a signal.

common cause of sub hum = wifi router located too close...

Registered

Sounds to me like a ground issue or something to do with the amp. If you still get the hum when there is nothing but power going to the sub, meaning its not connected to the avr or anything, there there is an issue with the amp most likely. VERY strange that 2 would be doing it, but it can happen. The LFE cable going from your AVR to the sub shouldn't matter, I use a actual "LFE" cable from my AVR to one sub and half of a cheapo red/white rca cable that I got from radio shack on the other and never had an issue. It could be there might just be a ton of RF interference where you live but not likely.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts