AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I've been really enjoying my month old BIC F12, but I can't help wondering how much I'm pissing off my neighbours.

As the title suggests, I am in a semi-detached home. The worst part (for them) is that the best spot for the sub is in a corner in the basement along the wall that the houses share.

My question....does anyone have any experience or knowledge living attached to someone who owns a sub? I know this is highly subjective....but I really have no idea what they can and can't hear/feel. I know there is a soundproof-ish wall between houses, but not sure how that translates to sub frequencies.

Sometimes at night when I'm watching (last night, How to Train your Dragon) my wife will call down from the bedroom and tell me that the pillows are shaking and politely (sometimes) ask me to turn it down LOL. I feel bad, but...hey! I enjoy it lol. I would feel REALLY bad if the neighbours felt it the same amount. They dont have kids though, so that's a plus, and I almost always turn everything off at 11 pm.

I usually listen to my movies with the receiver volume at 40-45 out of 75. The sub is calibrated properly, it's at -2 dB on the AVR and 4/10 gain on the sub.

Curious to get anyone's input.

Thanks

C

PS - I know I could just ASK them, but I don't really want to know the answer!! LOL.

·
Premium Member
11,446 Posts
The basement wall between you and your neighbour is most likely either concrete or cinderblock, which means bass will have substantially less impact in their side of the house than it will in yours. (It may even be attenuated to the point of being barely heard.)

But if you're wondering whether or not the bass bothers them, ask them. If it doesn't, you're golden; if it does, hash out a reasonable compromise that respects their space but allows you to enjoy your HT set-up as much as possible.

-- Edit --
Just noticed your "PS". You might not like their answer, but if there is an issue it might be better to tackle it now rather than ignore it until it and they blow up.

Then again, maybe you *will* like answer! :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Invite them over for a dinner + movie and let them appreciate your system. Good way to know your neighbor as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The basement wall between you and your neighbour is most likely either concrete or cinderblock, which means bass will have substantially less impact in their side of the house than it will in yours. (It may even be attenuated to the point of being barely heard.)
Excellent, that's what I was looking for. That's good to know.

I think next time I see them I will ask them anyways. I think it's reasonable to shut things down around 10-11 pm (legally, anyways...)

Invite them over for a dinner + movie and let them appreciate your system. Good way to know your neighbor as well.
Yeahhhh....I considered it. They're two 45+ year old brothers living together....they are a bit socially awkward. Polite enough, but not sure it would be their thing lol.

I had a hard enough time with them coordinating getting the roof re-shingled...lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts