AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X4700H, HTD Level3, Samsung LNT-4671F
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a little 50W powered sub, and he's got it connected through his receiver's switched power. He turns the receiver on, and the sub also gets power. Receiver off, sub off. It's a great little setup.

Now, I've got a HTD Level Three subwoofer and a Denon AVR-3300. The HTD sub is 200W, and the AVR-3300's switched power port says it can only handle a maximum of 125W.

So is this a definite no-no for me, or can I possibly run the sub through my AVR's switched power anyway? What's the likelihood of actually hitting 125W, and what's the risk involved?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor007 /forum/post/0

My friend has a little 50W powered sub, and he's got it connected through his receiver's switched power. He turns the receiver on, and the sub also gets power. Receiver off, sub off. It's a great little setup.

Now, I've got a HTD Level Three subwoofer and a Denon AVR-3300. The HTD sub is 200W, and the AVR-3300's switched power port says it can only handle a maximum of 125W.

So is this a definite no-no for me, or can I possibly run the sub through my AVR's switched power anyway? What's the likelihood of actually hitting 125W, and what's the risk involved?

Thanks in advance.

I would say NO, by reading the manual on page 2 (you can download it here): http://www.htd.com/Level-THREE-Power...c=7&category=5

Quote:
Please read the following warnings and tips before hooking up your HTD Powered Subwoofer:

- Never connect speaker wire or line level connections with the Subwoofer power button in the ON position.

Always make your connections with the amplifier OFF.

- Only use the power cord supplied with your HTD Powered Subwoofer.
- Never plug the HTD Powered Subwoofer into the back of another electrical component.

- We highly recommend plugging the HTD Powered Subwoofer into a power tree with surge protection.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Your sub has an auto on/off feature. Plug the sub into a wall outlet and put the power switch in the auto on position. When the sub receives a signal, it will turn on. When the signal is no longer present for a preset period, it will go to stand by. Now that is a great little setup.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X4700H, HTD Level3, Samsung LNT-4671F
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, my initial feeling was that I should keep it plugged in separately, but I wanted to see what your opinions were on the subject. And I had missed that bit in the manual. Thanks for the help. :¬)

I'm not going to use the auto on/off though. My roommate says he tried that with his sub, and it would often cause a delay in turning on the sub if there weren't any LFE effects for a while. It's not a huge deal to turn on the sub separately whenever I turn the amp on.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Hate to say this, but I don't think your friend is a good knowledge base for all things audio. Try yours with the auto on. In most cases it works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.