AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question on setting .1 channel levels.....I've got an SCD-C555ES running into P9000ES and then into a Hafler 9505 (FL & FR), a 9303 (RL & RR) and a second bridged 9303 (CC) with the subwoofer pugged into a Vandersteen V2W. I can balance all the full-range channels with my sound meter on my listening chair, no sweat, but I'm at loss as to how to properly set the subwoofer level. Micheal Bishop seems to indicate that Telarc records the subwoofer channel 10 dB down. Is this universal and if I know the relative sensitivities between the Vandy 3A Sig.s and the V2W, do I add 10 db to make everything flat, or do I forget it and turn the sub off for SACD ?

Also, has anyone looked at analog HF filtering, (say a single pole at 50-100 Khz), on these players to clean up the ultrasonic DSD signal prior to going into the power amps, (these Transnova's are flat to 300 Khz) ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well....since no one has replied I guess you are all as clueless as I was. Sad, aren't it ??

In the meantime, I contacted Tom Jung from dmp records, and he recommended forgetting the subwoofer altogether for SACD. dmp uses the .1 channel for a height channel. Telarc on the other hand uses the same standard has Dolby Digital - ie., the .1 channel is 10 dBsm down from front left and right. As a result I set my P9000ES, (no it's not for sale, yet), subwoofer level up 10 db from reference, and it sounds pretty good for SACD's with bass in the .1 channel. (Listen to Alison Krauss's latest, and you'll see what I mean, great bass fiddle definition and Alison's voice is very sweet !!) Recommend you SACD fans do the same, but watch out for DVD-A's, I'm not sure that they follow the same rules........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.