AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Martin Logan Dynamo 500 for my bedroom, and I was playing with it.

This sub's amp runs hot. Playing at higher volumes in the 90dB+ range just for a few minutes will make the amp warm to hot to touch.

Eventually the sub's "limiter" started to kick in, and the amp was getting almost too hot to touch. However, this is not a limiter I've seen before. It reduces the output of the sub by 10dB at ALL playback volumes.

I thought it was my ears getting used to high volume, however it was confirmed by a SPL meter. I was getting 110-113dB of maximum output with music (mains were only about 85dB). It can get around 106dB without audible distortion. When the limiter kicks in, I have trouble getting above 100dB, and it takes a lot more volume to get it to a maximum of 103dB. Even at 100dB, it was heavily distorting. At 103dB, it was pretty much all distortion.

What kind of limiter is this? Is there any benefit of limiting like this? How is that even possible to have so much more distortion when the limiter kicks in? Or is this a bad sub?

Thanks

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
I reviewed the Dynamo 1500X not too long ago, but never ran into what you're describing. I don't listen at high volumes for extended periods though, so perhaps I just didn't push it like you have the 500. ML may have implemented some time of 'variable' limiter, but generally that's not what most companies do. Since it's new you might want to give them a call and see what they have to say.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE  /t/1515660/subwoofer-limiter-decreases-all-volumes#post_24302838

What kind of limiter is this?
My guess is that it's a protection device to keep you from frying your amp. The amp should not get too hot to touch. That's a warning sign that you're pushing it too hard and that you should turn it down, not up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts