AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently, I purchased a brand new KEF Kube 10b, to replace my JBL ES-150P, which, although only five years old, started sounding distorted.

The sub sits on top of a built-in TV cabinet, at the corner, but with no shelves or anything else above it. Next to it, my desktop computer and the TV itself.

I also have an oscillating pedestal fan on the floor, close to where the sub and PC are. I usually place it facing the PC, as to move the hot air away from me.

Moments ago, I heard the sub making crackling/popping noises. It was plugged in and connected to a powered on AVR, but not being used. Since it automatically switches on/off, I can't tell if it was actually on or not (I can't see the LED from where I sit).

Immediately, it occurred to me that it could be due to the fan pointed towards it, as I've read that you can't use vacuum cleaners or traditional blowers to clean electrical components, such as PC parts, due to static (you need either compressed air or a proper duster).

As soon as I moved the fan away from the sub, the noises stopped. I'm now afraid to use it again.

Could I have damaged the subwoofer, somehow, even if it has cloth fabric all around it? Is that also what may have damaged my previous sub? I never imagined a regular fan could cause such thing.

The new sub is still under warranty, but I'll have to act fast in order to diagnose the issue, and could really use some help.

·
Registered
267 Posts
...As soon as I moved the fan away from the sub, the noises stopped. I'm now afraid to use it again...

I don't think the fan could hurt your current (or previous) sub with static electricity.
Unless you've got an ionizer nearby that's sending out a stream of charged particles towards the fan, you can probably rule that idea out.

You don't say how close the fan was to the sub, or whether it's a regular AC fan or a high speed DC fan.
I think you should try turning on the fan again but this time don't aim the airflow towards the sub. Slowly move the fan closer to the sub with the air blowing in any direction except towards it.
If the noise returns and gets louder as you approach the sub then the fan might be emitting some electrical noise. Try selecting different fan speeds to see if it makes a difference.

You're going to have to try a few experiments to narrow down what the cause of this noise is, but I think your sub is quite safe.
(Even if your sub does break, then you'll either deserve a free warranty replacement, or KEF will have to admit that their subs can be easily destroyed by a gentle breeze, which is something that I doubt could ever happen)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the fan could hurt your current (or previous) sub with static electricity.
Unless you've got an ionizer nearby that's sending out a stream of charged particles towards the fan, you can probably rule that idea out.

You don't say how close the fan was to the sub, or whether it's a regular AC fan or a high speed DC fan.
I think you should try turning on the fan again but this time don't aim the airflow towards the sub. Slowly move the fan closer to the sub with the air blowing in any direction except towards it.
If the noise returns and gets louder as you approach the sub then the fan might be emitting some electrical noise. Try selecting different fan speeds to see if it makes a difference.

You're going to have to try a few experiments to narrow down what the cause of this noise is, but I think your sub is quite safe.
(Even if your sub does break, then you'll either deserve a free warranty replacement, or KEF will have to admit that their subs can be easily destroyed by a gentle breeze, which is something that I doubt could ever happen)

Thanks for the reply!

No ionizer, just a standard pedestal fan like this one. It was sitting at least 20 inches away from the sub, so, not that close, just pointed towards it and blowing air in its direction (at the lowest power/speed setting - there are three).

I've tried turning on the fan and aiming at anything but the sub, as you recommended, and the sub remains silent, even as I approached the fan to it.

I haven't tried blowing air directly at the sub again because I'm still a bit scared of doing that, even if it makes no sense for anything bad to happen. Static electricity was literally the first thing that popped in my mind as I rushed to turn off the fan.

Oh, I also haven't put the sub to use since. Not sure if there are better ways to diagnose the issue rather than pumping some bass-heavy tracks at full blast.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have two of those pointed at me from 3 feet and all the sub and other equipment is 2 feet behind me and never had any issues. Sometimes i would even point a fan directly to my amp when partying and it would have no effect

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
What type of cable are you using to connect the sub to the AVR? Was the fan power cord running near this cable by any chance?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Sometimes my old M&K sub would make weird noises when I would get a text message on my cell when the cell is near the sub. You might want to check that scenario

1 - 6 of 6 Posts