AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a roomate in college who had a 8" (I think) dual-cone subwoofer that had a ridiculous amount of watts (I could have sworn it was 10,000+). The instruction manual actually claimed/warned that it could shatter glass. At the time, it cost about $1,000.

Unfortunately, this was over 10 years ago, and I can't recall the manufacturer.

Does this sound like anything someone remembers or has?

My roomate was quite proud of his subwoofer and enjoyed constantly shaking the entire 11th floor of the dorm.

Sorry I couldn't provide more info, but am interested in checking to see if they still make this sub.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
dual cone?

coil?

Glass breaking is a resonance phenomena, i'm sure you could do it with an a couple of 8's too... depends on a LOT of things. This video is pair of 18" TC LMS's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUL3dFx3U_A

this guy actually broke his windshield twice with our woofers.... you would think he learned his lesson, lol.

btw, this is does not mean anything is "loud" or "good" or any of that nonsense. resonance is a special case. And if fact if i read on a box a woofer could break glass and take 10,000 watts, i would start question the engineers sanity and probably buy something else.... especially if it was 8"

8" woofers actually suck pretty bad imo. I would never use one. low sensitivity and low displacement.

.....8" midrange/midbass... different story.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/14304919

Sunfire?

http://www.sunfire.com/SuperJrPR.htm

Thanks. That's not quite it, but it's close. Now that I think about it more, it wasn't 8" cones, it was an 8" cube, dual-cone. But, I'm not entirely sure what the watts were for the sub, but I know it was ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLee /forum/post/14304990

dual cone?

coil?

Glass breaking is a resonance phenomena, i'm sure you could do it with an a couple of 8's too... depends on a LOT of things. This video is pair of 18" TC LMS's

this guy actually broke his windshield twice with our woofers.... you would think he learned his lesson, lol.

btw, this is does not mean anything is "loud" or "good" or any of that nonsense. resonance is a special case. And if fact if i read on a box a woofer could break glass and take 10,000 watts, i would start question the engineers sanity and probably buy something else.... especially if it was 8"

8" woofers actually suck pretty bad imo. I would never use one. low sensitivity and low displacement.

.....8" midrange/midbass... different story.

It actually sounded really good. Wasn't too "boomy" or anything, but he had kept the gain at a pretty low volume, and it still managed to sound great.

But, as I noted above, I believe it was an 8" cube with dual cones. Watts I'm not really sure about.

Wish I still had my roomate's contact information.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking for small form factor without sacrificing too much quality.

I'm looking to setup a bonus room into an entertainment room, and would be interested in setting up a better system then what I have in my family room.

In my family room, I have the Klipsch Synergy Quintet III and 12" Sub and am pleased with it.

Even though the Klipsch 12" sub is smaller than most 12" subs, it would be great to go a bit smaller.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242 /forum/post/14309585

Remember, the smaller you go, the less efficient the system is.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/14305531

budget?

·
Registered
8,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/14305531

I'm looking to setup a bonus room into an entertainment room, and would be interested in setting up a better system then what I have in my family room.

In my family room, I have the Klipsch Synergy Quintet III and 12" Sub and am pleased with it.

Even though the Klipsch 12" sub is smaller than most 12" subs, it would be great to go a bit smaller.

If you really feel the need to go smaller, the SVS SB-12 Plus is a good compromise between size and price. I might check the SVS web site and see if they have any B-Stock SB-12 Plus'. Much of the time, the B-Stock units are in mint condition.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/14310094

If you really feel the need to go smaller, the SVS SB-12 Plus is a good compromise between size and price. I might check the SVS web site and see if they have any B-Stock SB-12 Plus'. Much of the time, the B-Stock units are in mint condition.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was going to recommend if it fit his budget.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLee /forum/post/14304990

This video is pair of 18" TC LMS's

This video is a little better...only because of the driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkQ5s...eature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/0

Too bad you can't get the TC OEM10's and their PR's anymore. In 14-15" cube you could have a flat response to 20hz. Two of those would be pretty sweet...

Even though I have no use for them, I still wish I would have bought some.

*edit* Sorry, I thought I was in the DIY forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts