AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a pretty old Acoustic Research AR 500 15 inch down firing subwoofer. Recently it's been acting a little strange. It's connected to my Onk 705 receiver via coax cable.

Lately when I power up my stuff the subwoofer would emit a low level pop, then go into standby mode. every once in a while it would turn back on again, as if it was receiving a signal, then shut down.

I've checked all the cables, and everything is tight. the receiver shows that the subwoofer is connected, but when i use the 'test signal' function, the subwoofer is present, but does not have sound.

how can i tell if it's the receiver that's messed up, or the subwoofer? is there a way i can test?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The power capacitors in the amp of the subwoofer will slowly deteriorate with age.

To do further checking, you could connect an mp3 player directly to your subwoofer (turn the volume way down). If the subwoofer does not play a sound properly then it is likely the amp but you can also check the speaker by connecting a nine volt battery to its terminals to determine whether it moves.

Amp repairs can run $200-300+ with 30-90 day warranties. You can consider a new amp from OAudio or Parts Express.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshoo /forum/post/20868603

Hi all,

I have a pretty old Acoustic Research AR 500 15 inch down firing subwoofer. Recently it's been acting a little strange. It's connected to my Onk 705 receiver via coax cable.

Lately when I power up my stuff the subwoofer would emit a low level pop, then go into standby mode. every once in a while it would turn back on again, as if it was receiving a signal, then shut down.

I've checked all the cables, and everything is tight. the receiver shows that the subwoofer is connected, but when i use the 'test signal' function, the subwoofer is present, but does not have sound.

how can i tell if it's the receiver that's messed up, or the subwoofer? is there a way i can test?

thanks in advance!

Kind of sounds like what happen with my Sunfire True MK2 that I had for about ten years that finally started to die out. The price to get it fixed starts out at $277.00.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.