Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ppls im a newbie in the HT setup, need some help with my 10" sub

I've got a Pioneer VSX-D490-tx receiver, when i connect the sub to my receiver, using the remote (from the receiver) i could see that during the testing of all the channels, the sub works fine.. i can definately "hear" it humming but when i play anything dvd/cd, the sub dosent seem to respond at all??!! I tried using diff cables connecing the sub but still very very low response... seems my fronts are pumping out the bass only, I ve set the other channels all to small and the subwoofer is definately detected in the test, its just not there when im playing anything else, im thinking maybe there is something wrong with the receiver?? Its a 10" active sub... power is on but the responce is very minimal, even when the volume is turned to max, Im using optical out for dts/dolby digtal sound connecting to my dvd player, would i need rca connections for the sub to work?? Its driving me nuts I spent hours trying to figure out whats wrong, i think it might be that the receiver sub connection is faulty? Or it might be something so simple that i didnt do properly heheh.

I know the sub works because i lent it to a friend and you can hear it perfectly responding ok...

please help anyone? :)

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have owned a Pioneer Elite a few years ago. Try setting the subwoofer to "plus" if such an option is available. It is the third option in the list

"no", "yes", "plus"... at least that's how it was with my VSX-24TX. If that does not work, next check the crossover setting and use your receiver test tones and a Radio Shack SPL meter to caliberate the sub's SPL to match the main speakers.... a good point is 85dB. I hope this helps.

-Jai

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried to set the subwoofer to plus but i dont think i have that option on my amp i will check my manual again, seems it only be be set to yes, i cant even turn it off. I have played with the crossover setting jacking it up and also in test the test tone setting adding +10db onto it, even set its set on default i can feel the base, the problem is when im playing any other dvd/cd/tuner with the sub, there simply isnt any sizable amount of base coming out even the the volume its turned all the way up on the sub.. not sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Ok, a couple of things. From your post it is not clear if you have set the Fronts (FL, FR) to small. It sounds like you have set all others to small. If you have not set the FL and FR to small, go ahead and do that first. Secondly, can you please double check your receiver model and tell me what exactly it is. I couldn't find it in the older models at the pioneerelectronics website. I found a D-498 under home electronics, but I guess your model is not an Elite series.

-Jai

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bad jmcomp124, i wrote the wrong model no. for my receiver, you are correct its not an Elite series, i think its just b4 they came out. My exact model is Pioneer VSX-D908TX, it has 100w x 5 channel with dolby digital 5.1, dts and dsp modes. Its a THX ULTRA receiver, there is hardly any information about this amp at all, i cannot find it anywhere on Pioneer's site all over the world. Only a few ppl seem to have this amp, another guy on the forum has this amp also (jagouar) , im awaiting a msg back from him to see if he has the same problems.

Okay to clear things up, i've set all the other speakers including the fronts,centre,rears to small. So that all the low frequencies goto my sub to no avail. The sub is there as its got [yes] there. In test tone settings for the sub ive increased the db rate to +10 and still nuthin on my dvd at all. When im testing the tones of the sub i can hear the low rumbling sound coming from the sub very distinctly so it "seems" to be working there but not when im playing dvds/cd. That seems very strange to me.

edd

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Checklist.

1) Set the cross-over to the highest possible on the receiver (120Hz ?)

2) Check the gain control on your subwoofer to see if it is set to at least half

3) If there is a cross-over setting on the sub, turn it all the way up (150Hz ?)

4) Check and double check to see if all speakers are set to small

5) Check to see if the receivers LFE output is connected to the correct input of the sub (read the subs manual carefully).

Did you change your receiver recently ? Was the sub/receiver working earlier... what were the most recent changes in your system ? Did you suddenly come to realization that your sub is not working ?

Man, I know how frustrating this can be, I hope I can help.

-Jai

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Cross over was set to 150hz on my receiver

2. Gain control on sub was set to the absolute maximum.

3. All other speakers were set to small(aslo tried large)

4. LFE connection connection was correct, works fine my friend's receiver

5. I just bought this receiver from a store, the guy said it had never been used b4, i didnt have a sub until i got this one everything else was sweet. So im thinking maybe its the receiver, I might take it back to the shop tomorrow if i can't get it working.

Thanks for your help jmcomp124. I really wanna get my sub working. Saving Private Ryan DTS sounds great but it would be awesome if i got the sub working!! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the help Jai, im taking it back to the shop tomorrow and getting them to try to get the sub working. If it dosent work ill either get a replacement or maybe get my money back

edd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.