AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to work OK if my media has a 5.1 track. I set all speakers to small and crossover to 80. I have the jbl pb12 crossover all the way up 150 to let avr manage. Its Plugged into L and selected lfe. Manual indicates sub cross over switch is disables in life mode anyway. Sub is set to +1.0 after the yoah thing dialed it negative.

I have a WD TV live and Sony bdp-s590. All HDMI to receiver. I may need to confirm what my audio settings should be on those at some point.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Yamaha's are a bit strange on the way they do this. I'm not totally clear

On it. I checked your owners manual and it appears that the subwoofer

Will not engage in 2-channel if the system is set up the way you describe.

(Which is normally the correct way with other AVR's)

For a 2 channel source you need to set speakers to large

And then select a x-over for the speaker. Then you go into

Settings and enable "xtra bass". I think....

Page 92,116,

Also make sure you are not using pure direct,straight etc

Reactions: Prodeje79

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I failed to subscribe to this thread and am just seeing this.

I did find those pages. I tried changing my front speakers to large and turning extra bass on. Should I try a different xover than the 80?

I cannot get it to turn on when a 2 channel source.

What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1524575/subwoofer-not-working-with-stereo-content-yamaha-rx-v673#post_24538085

Yamaha's are a bit strange on the way they do this. I'm not totally clear

On it. I checked your owners manual and it appears that the subwoofer

Will not engage in 2-channel if the system is set up the way you describe.

(Which is normally the correct way with other AVR's)

For a 2 channel source you need to set speakers to large

And then select a x-over for the speaker. Then you go into

Settings and enable "xtra bass". I think....

Page 92,116,

Also make sure you are not using pure direct,straight etc

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodeje79  /t/1524575/subwoofer-not-working-with-stereo-content-yamaha-rx-v673#post_24561789

So I failed to subscribe to this thread and am just seeing this.

I did find those pages. I tried changing my front speakers to large and turning extra bass on. Should I try a different xover than the 80?

I cannot get it to turn on when a 2 channel source.

What else?

Howdy stranger, I must be the first to admit that I don't have a

Yamaha AVR and like I admitted I am a bit befuddled by Yamaha's

Approach to bass mgmnt when playing just a stereo source. Don't

Know what else to tell you.

Maybe you post your question here or do some reading and find the answer.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408245/the-official-yamaha-rx-v673-thread-7-2-channel-network-avr

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
You should not have to use a large setting with extra bass to engage bass management. What would even be the point of the small setting if that were the case?

Try setting speakers to small, set the crossover as high as you can, and play a stereo source with lots of deep bass.

I also do not own a Yamaha, but the receiver display should show you the output speakers it is feeding.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander  /t/1524575/subwoofer-not-working-with-stereo-content-yamaha-rx-v673#post_24562762

You should not have to use a large setting with extra bass to engage bass management. What works be the point of the small setting if that were the case?

Try setting speakers to small, set the crossover as high as you can, and play a stereo source with lots of deep bass.

I also do not own a Yamaha, but the receiver display should show you the output speakers it is feeding.

I agree with this approach...however, it seems that the Yamaha's implementation

Of bass mgmt for a 2 channel source defies common thinking. I scanned thru the

Owners thread linked above and found it mentioned a few times. Seems though that

If you set it to 7channel stereo of some other DSP mode involving all speakers that the

Sub works fine.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
I find it hard to believe that Yamaha does not do basic bass management, enabling the sub to be used with stereo sources.

The steps I suggested should determine one way or another whether using the normal approach that nearly all other processors use will work with the Yamaha. It is even possible the OP is playing content without bass below the current crossover.

Posting in the owners thread is also a good idea. Someone there will know.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my sub isn't working at all anymore. Maybe it was on its way out. I ordered a new sub cable to at least try. I am tempted to pull out my old receiver or perhaps try optical. I still am wondering if its an issue with the receiver.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my sub works fine with my old receiver. IT also works fine just using RCA's from blu-ray. I called Yamaha and went through everything I had tried. They determined that my receiver is bad. My local shop is looking at 5 weeks of it sitting on their bench before they can even look at it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So just got my brand new 675 replacement from Yamaha. Sub is working great. Test tone works. Ran the ypoa mic test. Sub worked fine during test.

Now sub no longer works. Won't work during test tone now. Doesn't work at all connected to receiver. Ypoa no longer detects it either. Sub still works in old amp.

Wtf

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ditto the post above. You need to be in 'Straight' mode for a 2 channel source to utilise bass management.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a pure direct button and it turns blue when I push it.

I am fairly sure I'm in normal modes.

How else do you want me to confirm?

I've toggled different modes.

Surround syfy

Surround movie

Pl2 surround

Straight button

Pure direct button

Movie button

Wow disk LFE test

Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2  /t/1524575/subwoofer-not-working-with-stereo-content-yamaha-rx-v673#post_24676670

Ditto the post above. You need to be in 'Straight' mode for a 2 channel source to utilise bass management.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
From the photos it looks like you are in 'straight' mode... but you have also got a 5.1 source.

What happens if you play a 2ch source like from a music CD..??

(only the symbols for the front left and right speaker and subwoofer should light up on the AVR front panel display)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep it went to that.

1399086359093.jpg 2196k .jpg file
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2  /t/1524575/subwoofer-not-working-with-stereo-content-yamaha-rx-v673#post_24677074

From the photos it looks like you are in 'straight' mode... but you have also got a 5.1 source.

What happens if you play a 2ch source like from a music CD..??

(only the symbols for the front left and right speaker and subwoofer should light up on the AVR front panel display)

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just like the 673. Once I run the auto tune, my sub appears to fry the sub outputs or something on the receivers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2  /t/1524575/subwoofer-not-working-with-stereo-content-yamaha-rx-v673#post_24677116

Is the sub doing anything..??

Nope and lights on sub stay red.

I'd love to try another sub.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yikes! How old is the sub?

Find a JBL thread around here and see if anybody knows those subs inside-out..??

Or even take it to a local electronics repair shop for them to take a look at..???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts