AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of designing / building a home theater for my basement. I have heard a few different theories as to where to place the sub in the room. I was wondering if this forum had any standard guidelines as to where it should go.

thanks

jay

·
Registered
410 Posts
The easy way is to put the sub in the middle of the listening area, crank up something with a lot of bass... a test disc would be ideal for this... and slowly walk around the room until you find the area with the best sound. That's where the subwoofer would go.

To truly tune it takes an RTA and some time. It's worth the effort.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
If it is too big to move around much or you can't reach the seating position, start out with it out a little from the front wall and 1/3 or 1/5 of the width. Stay away from 1/2, 1/4, etc. which would make modal problems worse.

It's just a rough starting point but it will get you in the ballpark a lot better than in the corner or smack dab in the middle up against the wall.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xavier
What do you mean by "middle of the listening area" ?
As in, where do you want your sweet spot to be? Put the sub there.

·
Registered
499 Posts
when referring to 1/3 or 1/2 along the wall, what part of the sub are you measuring from. Does this mean the middle of the sub would be at 1/3 the length of the wall, or one of the sides...which one?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Az Barber

To truly tune it takes an RTA and some time. It's worth the effort.
What do you mean by an RTA?

In terms of setting the cross over, would it be best to use one of the thx optimizers where the sounds drops through all the frequencies?

For volume, using a sound level meter like the individual chanel volumes doesn't seem to work. Does it just go to preference?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
RTA=real time analyzer (a Mic and a LED graph used with a parametric, or third octave EQ that tames peaks and valleys in frequencies in conjunction with the natural equalization from the rooms acoustics).

The key to perfect subwoofer placement is experimentation. The corner of a room sometimes pronounces the bass too much and can sound good, or boomy depending on if the sub cabinet breathes, or not. Everyone in the thread here has some good suggestions. Halfway along the side wall is good. The crawl test is good. Ideally, place a sub (if not going with dual subs) in the first half a the room.

·
Registered
897 Posts
What about putting it directly (3 feet) behind the listener's seat? Any disadvantages to that setup?

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sat_uplinker
What about putting it directly (3 feet) behind the listener's seat? Any disadvantages to that setup?
it all depends upon the room....

it might be good.... or very bad..... you have to experiment....

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I put my sub directly behind me. It eliminated the huge peaks and nulls in my almost square room that I was getting when it was placed in the front corner between the mains.

Greg

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
I generally use the center of the driver as my measuring point. The only exception is when I am measuring front to back. At that point, I use the face of the driver since that is the originating point of the sound waves.

Personally, I don't like the sub behind me or too close to me. I find it distracting. That's just me though. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The easy test is once you have the room setup (since testing a sub in an empty room won't tell that much when there is furniture) is put the sub at the height of your head where you sit. A stool is good for this. If you can't put the sub in the air then just put it on the seat. Then while playing something bassy walk around the room and find where you feel the bass is strongest. Then just put the sub there.

Second version is more difficult for your back. Get yourself some $10 super long length audio cable and physically move the sub around the room and then go back to your seat to hear it and test it out.

On this forum some say, corners, some say a distance from the corners.

I say using the math of the dimensions of your room there are calculations to say where the sub should go. That's what I did and verfied it by moving the sub around.

Seth

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.