AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been steadily upgrading my theater equipment from what came in the house I bought a couple years ago. I now have Aperion Verus Forte towers and satellites and a Verus Grand center, which I like a great deal. I have repurposed the in-ceiling Speakercrafts to rear surround duty so I'm running a 7.1 setup.

The sound is very good, but I'm missing the bass. The current subwoofer is a Speakercraft Vital V10, with a 10" driver and 120W amp. It's rated only down to 32 Hz. This seems to be an obvious candidate for upgrade, but the catch is that I can't put any more boxes on the floor (WAF, happy wife, happy life, you know the drill ;)). So I am left with keeping the sub exactly where it is, in a custom-built enclosure on the side wall about 9' back from the front wall in my 16.3' long room. Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate the picture, but the attachment shows what I'm dealing with.

I have read that this is not ideal placement, and would rather have two subs, etc., but those aren't options for me. I want to find a more powerful sub with better bass extension to fit the same space; given the location it needs to be front-firing and either front-ported or sealed. Also, it can be no larger than the current sub's 16.75" (H) x 13.25" (W), but it could probably be up to about 20" deep.

Does anybody have a good suggestion for an improvement with this placement/size restriction?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm having no luck at all finding a front-firing sub that will fit in this space -- width seems to be the limiting factor. This got me thinking that perhaps I should get DIY driver and amp and put those in the current enclosure?

Any problems with this approach?

·
Registered
433 Posts
That might work, you should check the DIY forum to see what they recommend if you wanted to upgrade the existing enclosure. Keep in mind that you can buy a down firing sub and place it on its side but even that might be a stretch with your size constraints.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Hi all,

I've been steadily upgrading my theater equipment from what came in the house I bought a couple years ago. I now have Aperion Verus Forte towers and satellites and a Verus Grand center, which I like a great deal. I have repurposed the in-ceiling Speakercrafts to rear surround duty so I'm running a 7.1 setup.

The sound is very good, but I'm missing the bass. The current subwoofer is a Speakercraft Vital V10, with a 10" driver and 120W amp. It's rated only down to 32 Hz. This seems to be an obvious candidate for upgrade, but the catch is that I can't put any more boxes on the floor (WAF, happy wife, happy life, you know the drill ;)). So I am left with keeping the sub exactly where it is, in a custom-built enclosure on the side wall about 9' back from the front wall in my 16.3' long room. Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate the picture, but the attachment shows what I'm dealing with.

I have read that this is not ideal placement, and would rather have two subs, etc., but those aren't options for me. I want to find a more powerful sub with better bass extension to fit the same space; given the location it needs to be front-firing and either front-ported or sealed. Also, it can be no larger than the current sub's 16.75" (H) x 13.25" (W), but it could probably be up to about 20" deep.

Does anybody have a good suggestion for an improvement with this placement/size restriction?

Thanks for any help!
Here are a couple of suggestions, based on your criteria:

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb-2000

http://www.goldenear.com/products/forcefield-subwoofers?gktab=1

·
Premium Member
11,406 Posts
southlakedad said:
... I can't put any more boxes on the floor ... So I am left with keeping the sub exactly where it is, in a custom-built enclosure on the side wall about 9' back from the front wall in my 16.3' long room. ... it can be no larger than the current sub's 16.75" (H) x 13.25" (W), but it could probably be up to about 20" deep.

SVS SB-1000
- 12" driver
- 300W (RMS) amp
- 24-260Hz +/-3dB
- 13.5" (h) x 13" (w) x 14" (d)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Or cut the hole out bigger.
This was my first thought. Are you handy? A day or two worth of work for years of enjoyment seems like a good payoff to me.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I get the WAF and all, but get what you want. You deserve to be happy too. Too many guys out there putting their wants/needs aside only to please someone over a simple speaker. Get what you want, she'll get over it. I'm sure her shoes, clothes, flowers, decorations and other furniture take up much more room and serve little purpose other than to make her happy.

Get something in a nice finish. Trust me, it works. Once a woman sees nice wood....... :)

SVS PB-1000 or SVS SB2000 might do it. How big is the room?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SB 1000 looks like it would work. The passive radiator on the bottom of the GE may cause problems given the placement. The room is 16'4" x 12'10" x 10'. With this volume,
I expect the SB 1000 would perform well.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

·
Registered
592 Posts
The SB 1000 looks like it would work. The passive radiator on the bottom of the GE may cause problems given the placement. The room is 16'4" x 12'10" x 10'. With this volume,
I expect the SB 1000 would perform well.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!
Go over to the DIY area and start a thread. The options you are looking at are not the best.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
not the best, but the easiest :)

fyi, I have a SB2000 in a 14x12 room, 8; ceilings, it is open to a hallway, and I consider it just big enough. It physically is very small though, 13" cube

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
If the subwoofer is not placed in its proper location (use a subwoofer crawl test to determine the proper location), it doesn’t really matter what subwoofer you get. They will all sound bad. Now, if by some miracle, the hidden spot dictated by your wife turns out to be pretty good, then by all means get the best subwoofer you can for that size cubbyhole. Otherwise, you are throwing good money after bad.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I have quad subs built into the walls in 4 corners of the room. The sound is quite literally epic and nobody can even see the subs which makes the effect that much cooler.

If I were you, I would look at some fairly shallow car speaker drivers from the likes of JL audio. Make the boxes for them very tall so that you meet the box dimension requirements for the speakers. Cut out a huge piece of sheetrock from the ceiling to the floor. Put one driver near the ceiling and another near the floor. Once your box goes in, you can just sheetrock over the visible surfaces of the box. Otherwise, do something that will somehow help from a decor standpoint to make the whole thing disappear.

Shallow speakers are more expensive and often not as good as a decent set of 15" or 18" drivers but if you want to fit inside a wall, some creativity will be needed.

Even if you have to make "columns" stick out of your wall in order to accommodate the speakers, it will be worth it.

One caveat to going nuts on subwoofers is how much the noise will bother others around you... will you really have a chance to fire them up or are you going to get family complaining?

Another option is to put the sub box in your attic with a speaker hole in the ceiling. Just be sure the dimensions of the speaker and weight are amenable to getting the thing up the attic steps or whatever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts