AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so doing my first dedicated theater room... never done one and always been big into car audio just never took it this far with my home... My room is 7.8 feet tall 12.7 wide and 23 feet long... i have paradigm monitor 11s for fronts paradigm cc390 for center and adp 390s for rears and rear surrounds all driven by their own marantz MA500 now comes my subwoofers what should i do?? ihave 8 12" subs that i was saving for a car stereo project that i never used (rockford fosgate p1s) or i have this single 18 that i could use that i will attatch a pic of.... i already have a box built for the 18 its 10 cubes internal braced with two 4" aero ports tunned at 15 hz an i have two MA700 amps that i can use for subwoofer power.... so my question is use all the subs or one or the other??? someone make up my mind!!!lol.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I would think the 18" alone would do the trick. Another possibility would to use the 18" for LFE only, and build a couple of 12" boxes as stereo subs in-line with the front L&R mains.

I've never heard those Paradigms monitors, but I like them on paper.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never realy thought about putting them inline with the two fronts but the monitor 11s have decent bass as they are... i guess it might just be overkill and oh wow factor with the 8 12s anyway...

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Re: the stereo sub idea, many of us have come to find that one of the things that helps convey very convincing bass for both movies and music is having uncompressed output in the mid-bass area which is right around where the kick drums have most of their energy between about 60-120hz. Sometimes even very capable mains can start to compress as they dip down into this area. A couple of 12" subs can easily take care of that. Another bonus to doing this is that it takes an enormous strain off the main amps when they don't have to cover this area. This will sometimes make the mids and highs even cleaner.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
1) Since you already have the box built for the 18 inch driver, install the driver and finish that 18 incher up as your first step.

2) Listen for at least a month. Make sure you have the 18 incher in the best location in your room, that you have it crossed over at the optimum frequency, and that you have a pleasing balance of deep bass and mid bass, (from the Paradigms).

3) After you have listened to the 18 for a while, decide if you think your bass is lacking in any way. If you get very good results, you can stop there.

4) Consider using the the 12 inch drivers to make 5 full range speakers. Add a 12 incher to the center, rears, and rear surrounds. Then run the system with all speakers set to Large.

If you add 2 twelve inchers to your mains, you should be able to run all 7 Paradigm speakers as large with no strain on even the Paradigm Monitor 11's.

Think about learning REW so you can measure and graph your results.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Spyboy's five full range suggestion is an interesting way to go if you don't mind all those boxes in five different locations, but personally I think you can get most of the same benefit by just adding the 12's to the L&R fronts. Two-channel music really can benefit from this. I would run those subs with their own amps. This allows you to dial them in independently to help to fix mid-bass anomolies.

There are many different paths to reach bass nirvana.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.