AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Teac Reference CR-H238i cd-reciever unit with Cambridge Audio S30 bookshelf speakers. I thought it sounded very good. I was curious about the audio line out and decided to connect it to the Tape 1 input on my vintage Onkyo A-5 amplifier. Wow, now it sounds even better, with a fuller, wider soundstage. I was originally planning on adding a powered suboofer to the Teac, but the vintage Onkyo amp does not have that type of connection. So, my question is, can I still add a powered sub to the Teac, even though the S30's run through the Onkyo? Or when you use the line out is all of the audio being by-passed to the external amp?Or could a passive sub be connected somehow?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
You could just do speaker-level loop through with the sub, that's pretty much standard on any powered sub. Easiest way to go.

Or if you really wanted to you could get a simple audio distribution amp or splitter and split it between the amp and the line level inputs on the subwoofer.

But first choice is the simplest...

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Just look on the back of your subwoofer. There are speaker-level ins and outs. Instead of running the speaker wire from your amp directly to your speakers, you just run it to the subwoofer speaker level inputs. Then you run from the outputs on to your speakers. Simple. It is explained in the manual of any subwoofer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the most part, you can visualize connecting any powered sub via line out as no different than connecting another amp. The only difference is that the integrated sub amp has a cone attached to it, which is no different than a typical speaker/amp interface.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey all, I don't want to open a can of worms, but I thought this could be of some interest.

I have been trying to find the optimal way to integrate my sub into my two channel system as well.

I thought the speaker levels input/outputs would be the simplest/easiest way to go. When I had it hooked up, it seemed to work fine. But when I checked with the manufacturer I got this response:

"not recommended because the speaker level out filtering result is very load dependent. I took them out for higher power model for a reason. The only way it will work is you add a impedance compensation network. But given the low frequency we are dealing with, the inductors needs to be in 10mH range. They are extremely expensive with air core. We can only use iron core. Then again, iron core causes more distortion. You see that Is the problem. "

I'm not really sure exactly what this means, but, for now I switched back to using pre-outs to be safe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't actually have a sub yet, nor have I ever owned one. I just wanted to know a bit more before I buy one, because I really like the sound of my CD's through the vintage amp. I've always thought of subwoofers as part of a home theater setup, but not as part of 2 Channel Audio, and I'm really curious to see (hear) how I like it (or not?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.