AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My receiver is a Yamaha 5950. Have it set up with Klipsch Synergy F2 Floor standing speakers (fronts) and a Klipsch Synergy C2 center channel. Bought this combo about 4 yrss ago. Display is a Mitsu 52631. I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to this stuff but I have lurking on this forum for quite a while. Here are some question I have.

- I cannot add back or surround speakers (without causing WW 111 with the wifey) Would a subwoofer be advisable? If so, which one ? Do not want to spend more than $250.

Any advices here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mittyman

·
Registered
534 Posts
Keep in mind you are in a forum dedicated to subwoofers asking if it's a good idea to get one... Kind of like being on a Honda forum asking if you should buy a Honda. Everyone of course is going to say yes.

The sub is going to make a big difference, however, if your wife won't allow rear speakers, I'm not sure what she's going to think about the big black box that's causing the pictures to fall of the walls.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

The setup is in our family room which measures 25 ft by 15 ft. Not looking for the house to shake. What size sub would be recommmended ? Recommended brands/models would be appreciated. Any Klipsch's considered good subs? Budget is $300 to $350 max.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr /forum/post/18216315

Keep in mind you are in a forum dedicated to subwoofers asking if it's a good idea to get one... Kind of like being on a Honda forum asking if you should buy a Honda. Everyone of course is going to say yes.

The sub is going to make a big difference, however, if your wife won't allow rear speakers, I'm not sure what she's going to think about the big black box that's causing the pictures to fall of the walls.

I would avoid a Sub at all costs, not only is it a big WAF hit, it also has adverse effects on hearing and room stability. Cracking drywall, support beams coming dislodged resulting in fatalities etc....

I would recommend something more "Down to Earth" then the drugs these people are peddling here in the "Bass Head" section. Something I've had great success with is Hampster's, just get a few of these guy's in a cage, connect small sticks (Q-Tips) to their wheel which strike small drums (I've found empty soup cans using my patent pending scrotal skin lining drum head produce efficiently and effectively below 15Hz) that you have suction cupped to the sides of the cage and WaLah !!! Go green !!!!! and enjoy the LFE BliSS!!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittyman /forum/post/18217075

ShadyJ,

Thanks for the suggestions.

You know there is a reason he chose the name "ShadyJ". I would liken it to taking advice from Michael Vick when trying to fix a behavioral problem with your Pit Bull...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittyman /forum/post/18217353

At least his response made sense and was helpful!

Mine made perfect sense....I just don't think you have the "scrotal skin" to give it a shot!!!! (No pun intended)

On a serious note, it was intended to envoke some kind of emotional response followed by a smile or internal laugh. If you didn't see it that way MY BAD!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittyman /forum/post/18217414

Just looking for some good advice about subwoofers. I understand this is the forum to get just that.

Well...

1. $250 GREATLY reduces your possibilities.

2. There's no doubt you would benefit from a sub.

3. I would start browsing Audiogon, and keep browsing Audiogon until you find a decent sub. They do pop up, and will disappear as quickly as they pop up.

4. If your planning to buy at a local B & M store you need to go see what they have available and then research all the posted info here regarding those specific subs, which will be limited research considering the $250 price range.

5. ShadyJ gave a few examples, but like I said, your best bet for "Bang for the Buck" is Audiogon and then do some research as they pop up....You biggest hurdle is going to be price point.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA /forum/post/18217517

Well...

1. $250 GREATLY reduces your possibilities.

2. There's no doubt you would benefit from a sub.

3. I would start browsing Audiogon, and keep browsing Audiogon until you find a decent sub. They do pop up, and will disappear as quickly as they pop up.

4. If your planning to buy at a local B & M store you need to go see what they have available and then research all the posted info here regarding those specific subs, which will be limited research considering the $250 price range.

5. ShadyJ gave a few examples, but like I said, your best bet for "Bang for the Buck" is Audiogon and then do some research as they pop up....You biggest hurdle is going to be price point.

Thanks for the advices. Will check out Audiogon

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
a-gon tends to be most b&m subs so really you can sometimes end up getting less value than you would buying a new sub from an ID brand. ID subs on a-gon sell FAST and are rare.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18217667

a-gon tends to be most b&m subs so really you can sometimes end up getting less value than you would buying a new sub from an ID brand. ID subs on a-gon sell FAST and are rare.

Yeah, that's why I said they do pop up and disappear just as quick. It's funny how few ID brand subs do show up on a-gon. I would think there would be more considering the "upgraditis" we folks tend to have....But I guess you have to consider the role of the "Sub". Until it's role changes there's no need for tinkering. If you have one that functions properly there's no need to worry about Codecs, HDMI, 3-D, HD etc....

So I'm assuming we don't see many on A-Gon because of it's limited, yet important role in the HT equation.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA /forum/post/18217932

Yeah, that's why I said they do pop up and disappear just as quick. It's funny how few ID brand subs do show up on a-gon. I would think there would be more considering the "upgraditis" we folks tend to have....But I guess you have to consider the role of the "Sub". Until it's role changes there's no need for tinkering. If you have one that functions properly there's no need to worry about Codecs, HDMI, 3-D, HD etc....

So I'm assuming we don't see many on A-Gon because of it's limited, yet important role in the HT equation.

I think it has more to do with the comparatively low percentage of the market that ID sales makes up as well as their generally larger size which makes them more suitable for local sale.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another question, our family room has hardwood floors i.e. no carpeting. Does this affect the type of subwoofer one should purchase?

Also, regarding the size of the room (25 by 15 with 8 ft ceiling), what size subwoofer would be recommended?

Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA /forum/post/18217382

Mine made perfect sense....I just don't think you have the "scrotal skin" to give it a shot!!!! (No pun intended)

On a serious note, it was intended to envoke some kind of emotional response followed by a smile or internal laugh. If you didn't see it that way MY BAD!

I know I've been laughing after seeing all of these posts.

OP: I think the point here is that you're not allowed to have rear speakers but are thinking about a piece of equipment that is generally considered a lot more intrusive (and ugly by wife standards) than rear speakers, not to mention a much more noticable difference in sound. Not that you need another analogy but here's one anyways: "My wife had concerns about a new Impala fitting in the garage, so I just bought a Hummer instead". Trust me, I TOTALLY understand the wife acceptance factor but you really may want to prepare her for what the sub is going to be like to avoid a big fight. In the mean time you're going to get little jabs here and there, I got 'em too.. it's all meant to be in fun.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittyman /forum/post/18221255

Another question, our family room has hardwood floors i.e. no carpeting. Does this affect the type of subwoofer one should purchase?

Also, regarding the size of the room (25 by 15 with 8 ft ceiling), what size subwoofer would be recommended?

Thanks

Hardwood floors can affect sound (so can carpet). IF you don't get a sub with decent feet, you can always buy something for it to sit on like a Auralex subdude. You have a big room and in this case the bigger the sub and more output the better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts