AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a 7.0 system (no subwoofer yet). My brother told me with the tower speakers (Klipsch, model R28F) that I have, I don't really need a subwoofer. By the way, he knows that I'm not very picky in sound.

I wonder if a subwoofer does significantly improve my sound system or not. Although I'm casual in sound, I'll still buy the subwoofer if it does significantly improve the sound. If it's just a bit better, than I'll save my money and space in my room.

I've watched:
- Cable channels: 50% of time
- BR Movies: 25%
- Game: 15%
- Karaoke: 10%

My room is about 15' X 32'. I seat about 10' from the screen and main speakers.

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
As far as bass/LFE goes, a cheap sub won't improve much on your speakers. But a good sub will deliver noticeably more overall output and extend much deeper than those speakers.

In a 15' x 32' room - that's a big space - you may want to consider a pair of $800+ subs. Lots of great Internet-direct (ID) options available. If budget doesn't permit two at once, get one now and add a second one later (if desired).

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
How loud do you listen, and do you like to really hear explosions and stuff when watching movies?
A sub will definitely add bottom, and I feel they will add enjoyment to any system that is not specifically designed to handle Low Frequencies easily.

Reactions: ellisr63

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
As eljaycanuck indicated, you have a large room. And if it is open to other rooms, your subwoofer demands become that much greater. Whether a large, single sub would be a great improvement, depends upon how large of seating area you have (you may need two subs to cover a large area with deep, even bass). However, it would be nice to know what kind of budget you have.

What you could do is buy from a company that has free shipping both ways and test out a good sub. If it enhances your enjoyment by a significant amount, keep it. If not, ship it back on their dime (during the trial period). Both PSA and SVS give you free shipping both ways and a 5-year transferrable warranty).

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
I have Khorns (15" woofs) and wouldn't be without sub(s)....just sayin'. ;)

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Depends

No need for a sub if
a) Your room is small
b) You have floorstander speakers
c) You only listen to CD music
d) Movies are rom-com and other bass shy material

Otherwise you do, if you have medium and larger room, into action movies.

My towers go down to 36hz, my SVS sub beats them hands down. Also I don't believe your R-28F go down to 36hz bit of a stretch

·
Registered
21,040 Posts
Depends

No need for a sub if
a) Your room is small
b) You have floorstander speakers
c) You only listen to CD music
d) Movies are rom-com and other bass shy material

Otherwise you do, if you have medium and larger room, into action movies.

My towers go down to 36hz, my SVS sub beats them hands down. Also I don't believe your R-28F go down to 36hz bit of a stretch

You should have heard and felt my two SVS cylinder subs last night when we watched " Interstellar " ! One guest exclaimed " my seat was vibrating " ! HA - great LFE in that movie, and a perfect example of how good subwoofers can enhance a good movie sound track !

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts
You should have heard and felt my two SVS cylinder subs last night when we watched " Interstellar " ! One guest exclaimed " my seat was vibrating " ! HA - great LFE in that movie, and a perfect example of how good subwoofers can enhance a good movie sound track !
Worth renting or worth purchasing?

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
Worth renting or worth purchasing?
IMO it's worth buying when it gets to the $10 range. After all, to me, much of the draw and enjoyment of the movie was not knowing what was going to happen.

It's not like a good action flick that you re-watch a bunch of times because the action is great.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
It is worth buying, and I didn't even like the movie that much. I have learned, don't download from netflix of Direct, however, as too much compression! Oblivion on Direct TV doesn't even sound like the same movie!

in terms of sub, yes, for movies get yourself a good 12 inch or bigger sub or two or three...

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
It sounds like the sub is a must-have.

Beside the action movies, I wonder if the sub would help the Karaoke or the regular TV channels.
A sub will help fill out the lower end where your speakers drop off. How much effect that will have on what you listen to will depend on what you listen to....having avoided karaoke as much as possible I have no idea....regular tv has a wide variety of content. Try a sub from one of the ID companies that offers free in home trials, if it makes a worthwhile difference keep it, send it back if it doesn't add enough to warrant keeping it. Betting you'll like it....a casual 7.0 system of all RF28's? Doesn't sound too casual.... :)

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Holy crap a subwoofer makes a HUGE difference... this is not even a debate. If you are even asking and have an AVS account, you need a subwoofer.... period. For the casual listener, a single sub is a good start.

Most main speakers have crap for bass extension, even below 80hz. The placement options and EQ options for main speakers is also poor for achieving linear response below 80hz. I am a firm believer in 2.x for stereo sound as well. No pair of stereo speakers has ever impressed me enough not to have a separate sub where you have control over placement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You most definitely need a sub! You don't know what you are really missing with out those lfe( low frequency extremes) Nothing like feeling your pant legs blowing when you are standing behind two rows of seats and a bar! Check out the new Godzilla it is amazing! If you went through all the trouble of 7.0 you won't believe what that .1 will bring to your experience. SVS sure does have the bang for buck! Just get one and you won't regret it here I am sure that 100% would agree!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I just have a 7.0 system (no subwoofer yet). My brother told me with the tower speakers (Klipsch, model R28F) that I have, I don't really need a subwoofer. By the way, he knows that I'm not very picky in sound.

I wonder if a subwoofer does significantly improve my sound system or not. Although I'm casual in sound, I'll still buy the subwoofer if it does significantly improve the sound. If it's just a bit better, than I'll save my money and space in my room.

I've watched:

- Cable channels: 50% of time

- BR Movies: 25%

- Game: 15%

- Karaoke: 10%

My room is about 15' X 32'. I seat about 10' from the screen and main speakers.
I was like your brother, I had floor tower speakers with sufficient bass to make me happy. I've argued that if you enjoy how your music sounds, and don't want movies to rattle your butt, or make your dinner plates in the kitchen shiver, you're probably fine.

I would discount anyone claiming those speakers won't go below 100Hz. Get some audio test files from audiocheck.net, put 'em on an iPod or CD, and see for yourself. See if there are dips and yelps at certain frequencies from those speakers (put your AVR is direct mode, no tone adjustments, no adaptive dynamic range control, nada).

The argument that you MUST have a sub so you can have your testicle hairs tickled by car explosions in a movie is IMNERHO both sophomoric, and possibly irrelevant for your listening habits, and tastes. Yes, that's a controversial statement, but that insistence never sold me on buying a sub. It's like what stereo equipment salesman used to parrot. I've even sat with a braggard showing house guests how loud and low his HT went with an action movie, to the extent that we were covering our ears from the discomfort. Who the heck wants that?

Here's what sold me on trying one (tested a Martin Logan from Best Buy first), and then buying a near-$600 VTF-2 from Hsu Research, and not a near $300 NXG BAS-500 off Amazon...

I subscribed to Widescreen Review, and read through Richard Hardesty's fundamentals series on subs. It admirably explains what those low freqs are, how they work, and how a sub integrates with a system. The thing that stuck in my mind is that a sub is a specialized speaker that will, if it's a good one, produce very accurate and stable (sustained) low frequencies that reinforce the upper bass frequencies that your main speakers produce, resulting in more authentic and realistic overall bass.

I've experienced this with test music tracks - the low bass drums and organs gain liveliness by having the sub-100Hz range produced more reliably than my floor standing speakers ever could.

Another benefit is efficiency, for your main speakers, and your AVR. Impedance in speakers is uneven across the frequency range; the manufacturer's "nominal impedance" rating is a broad generalization. Some speakers need more power to produce low frequencies, and the AVR may be working hard to amplify those to the main speaker. Offloading that burden to a SELF-powered subwoofer lets the AVR work more effectively in the rest of the frequency range. Same with your speakers. You may not hear this, but it's happening. My mains are 6Ω, so I used the AVR's impedance switch to protect it from overheating. By lessening the load on it by offloading everything below 120Hz, I felt confident turning that switch off for the first time in many years.

Lastly, if you have speakers like mine that have uneven bass response even above the THX reference of 80Hz, setting a bass management crossover frequency higher than that, with a sub that can go up to 200Hz if asked to, means you have more consistent bass. "Sweep" files from audiocheck.net will uncover if the mains have a weakness; you ought to hear a very smooth progression down without minimal jumps or dips in volume. I noticed my mains have a weakness around 130Hz.

I think I've listened to your speakers in a store, they're good. If you find with the audiocheck.net files that they produce good, even bass down to 50Hz (Klipsch claims they go down to 35Hz, I find that a bit improbable), then you could set up bass management in your AVR to send bass to both a sub and the mains (Hardesty suggests this, but I think he's referring to $1000+ speakers with *consistent* bass down below 80Hz). I wouldn't; let the mains perform above the crossover.

Yes, you will hear and feel a difference in movies (and some music) with more confident bass "oomph" below 80Hz. In music, I think it's easier to identify. Playing Saint-Saens' organ symphony with a sub, or Diana Krall's "Stepping Out" album, or Holly Cole's "Train Song," adding the sub will make the drums' and bass guitars' lower register come alive. Oh there is one movie where it's unmistakable: Star Wars Ep. IV special edition, when Han Solo drops out of light speed at Alderaan (or where it used to be). Lucas added a descending throb of bass that goes oh way down to the bottom. One of the few things he changed that I think added something good. You can hear it in the DVD, don't even need the BD. Get a copy from the library if you don't own it, play that moment with and without a sub. ;)

Now some here will probably call BS on my argument, waving the popular flag of "make the bomb blasts move the hairs on your arm." I'd discount them if your primary interest is music. Unless you watch a lot of films with deep throbbing bass and crave that low shudder, it's not IMHO a strong selling point.

SVS will let you audition at home, they make great ones. I bought Hsu for the ability to adjust and experiment with the ports and EQ to suit my room, my tastes, even my listening preference (movie vs. music). The NXG BAS-500 is a great value for < $300, and reviewers called out its excellent performance for music. If you're still skeptical, maybe buy a sub from a local store that's willing to let you buy and audition at home for a week or two or three. (Best Buy in my case. The Martin Logan didn't impress me, but it did prove the point.)

The NXG probably would've sufficed for me, but I yielded to the advice to "buy as much as you can afford, no one ever complained about buying 'too much sub.'" It was still a chunk of change, and the sub is large, but in some music I can hear it, and feel the expenditure paid off.

Those speakers you have look pretty darn OK, i see your brother's point. But if you consider that the low-end bass is uneven and anemic (and you're not hearing what's not there to listen to), the sub will help them sound a little better without having to produce LFE. An economical (for your budget) sub will help. The NXG will get the job done, but if you want bass that will fill that larger room, one from SVS, PSA, Hsu, or other special independents would be better. (Just as an alternative, many recommend two subs to provide more consistent LFE in a large listening area. If you're loathe to spend > $1000 for two, two NXGs wouldn't break the bank. With two providing the same freqs, you won't strain one producing lots of LFE during a movie. Just something to consider.)

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
No subwoofer?

But how then would I liquefy my liver/internals without using a subwoofer? ;)

Beer would work as a substitute I suppose...
or exlax with a tracer of charcoal powder (oh no wait, that is only to be used for hospital emergencies, nevermind... carry on!)

That said: there is no such thing as too-much infrasound... except for maybe standing directly under a space shuttle at lunch. (Ignoring the whole flesh-burning aspect, that is...) ;)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts