AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance.

Here is the situation .. Our room is wired for 5.1 surround but I have not had a sub.

I would like to place a subwoofer below the Left Front speaker but have no way to run wires there except for the existing red and black for the LF speaker..

My question is..can I run the wires from the amp (onkyo receiver) to the sub, then to the Left front speaker ???

This is speaker is hooked up to the amp on the LF connection so I am not sure how this would affect the sounds coming out to the the sub..

Thoughts?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Well if your not using the LFE from the receiver you are missing one of the coolest channels in the whole 5.1 surround sound format. That one channel really adds to the whole experience.

If you run it the way your wanting to you may lose the audio from the right side. If there are sweeps from one side to the other and there usualy is you will miss the bass from that side.

You need to run both left and right from the amp/receiver to the sub then out of the sub to the main speakers to get both sides if there are any sweeps back and forth.

But like i said if your not using the LFE out from the receiver you really are missing out.

In my opinion its actualy easier then how your wanting to do it. One RCA cable from the receiver to the sub LFE input and then plug in the power to the sub and your done.

·
Registered
29,197 Posts
Is your room really wired for 5.1 or just 5 speakers? If there is no wiring for the subwoofer then the .1 part is missing.

your onkyo receiver most likely has a dedicated subwoofer channel. All you need is a single cable with RCA jack on each end to connect to a powered sub.

What subwoofer do you have by the way?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, and 2 answer both questions,

1. We are using the LFront speaker, but I have read about sub setups where you run the speakers from the amp, to the sub, then out to the speakers.

2. room is set for 5.1 but the sub location is in a bad spot so I want to move it, problem is , this whole wall is limestone so I cant really run new lines.

The sub has speaker in and out , as well as rca in/out. I am wondering instead of running both the L&R through the sub, if I could just run the L ..

Obviously I would hook the Left speaker back up, it would just be daisy chained with the sub.

·
Registered
30,801 Posts
There is no practical way to use the leftfront wiring for the sub since they must each be fed different signals. The leftfront speaker gets the leftfront channel only and via speaker wire. The sub gets the LFE (low frequency effects) as well as the low bass from all the other channels and it gets that via coaxial interconnection.

Since you seem to have no way to run new wiring to the site where you want to put the new sub, you should consider a wireless connection. There are several companies that make them although I have had personal experience only with the AudioEngine AW-1. http://www.audioengineusa.com/w1_home.php

1 - 5 of 5 Posts