AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUESTION?

I have my system crossed over at 80hz. So I used my spl and 80hz sine wave to check the phase. So i am sitting on the couch and the gf is slowly moving the phase control. So as she's turning i see he db's going up, actually went up about 2.5 on my spl meter.

I left the phase where I had the highest reading on the meter, is this correct? Does this mean I am in phase? I assume because louder would mean that the speakers were working together and in syn

QUESTION? I never used a meter at a specific hz or sine frequency and in my sitting area the sound was measured the highest db. Is thats Audeysey working to get my sitting position as best as possible? I mean I moved it around a few feet and the difference on the meter was crazy. This was at 80hz when i was trying to set the phase on my sub.

I am slowly becomming an audio addict, I wish I had money to own test equipment and really play around.

Any tips? Did I do a good job on the phase? Honestly I did not listen to music yet, nor rerun Audesey and tinker more. I just wanted to play with the phase switch.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You did it correctly. When you get the highest reading possible, it means your speaker and subwoofer are matched closer because they're working together. If the level was lower, it means that the speaker and subwoofer's tones are out of phase and canceling each other out, thus causing dips in the frequency response.

I don't understand your 2nd question. Sorry.

You can get huge dips and peaks caused by your room by just moving a couple inches, so it's not unusual to see crazy things happen when you move things around a bit. If you don't want that to happen, then you need to work on making your ROOM have a flat response with room treatments and such (if you really wanna go all out with your newfound audio addiction).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you send me a link to these items? Cost wise? Thoughts...

I really enjoy tinkering around and can use it on my fathers set up as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek From NJ /forum/post/18298123

QUESTION?

I have my system crossed over at 80hz. So I used my spl and 80hz sine wave to check the phase. So i am sitting on the couch and the gf is slowly moving the phase control. So as she's turning i see he db's going up, actually went up about 2.5 on my spl meter.

I left the phase where I had the highest reading on the meter, is this correct? Does this mean I am in phase? I assume because louder would mean that the speakers were working together and in syn

QUESTION? I never used a meter at a specific hz or sine frequency and in my sitting area the sound was measured the highest db. Is thats Audeysey working to get my sitting position as best as possible? I mean I moved it around a few feet and the difference on the meter was crazy. This was at 80hz when i was trying to set the phase on my sub.

I am slowly becomming an audio addict, I wish I had money to own test equipment and really play around.

Any tips? Did I do a good job on the phase? Honestly I did not listen to music yet, nor rerun Audesey and tinker more. I just wanted to play with the phase switch.

I tend to use the auto setup with the mic and then go from there. I do use a SPL meter Radio Shack $50 bucks but, Ultimately my ears are still very good and I Like to set up the sub so it blends nicely with my other speakers.

And then here comes the crazy part well for me I enjoy it, I tend to play around for every single movie for 10 mins or so but I do save settings per movie.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek From NJ /forum/post/18298123

QUESTION?

Your speakers are in-phase at that frequency and at that position. Period. Anyplace else is an unknown. That is why Audyssey suggests leaving polarity and phase controls set to zero.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you have the radio shack meter you can use that as your mike when you use REW. REW is a free download that will run on most PC's and will do the analysis and plot curves for you.

Regarding your phase the highest reading indicates that you have the sound in phase at that frequency at the location where you had the sound meter. That does not mean it will sound smooth and best to you. For example if that accentuates 125hz you will have tubby base.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think Audesey EQ on the Onkyo 607 corrects or touchs or knows the phase on the subwoofer. Damn now that you pointed that out, its only at that frequency what am I supposed to do?

What cable to connect and use the RS Meter to a laptop? If you happen to know. I want to check out that REW program. Sounds interesting

Seems impossible to get things just right or very close. sucks...

·
Registered
5,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek From NJ /forum/post/18300501

I dont think Audesey EQ on the Onkyo 607 corrects or touchs or knows the phase on the subwoofer. Damn now that you pointed that out, its only at that frequency what am I supposed to do?

The 607 has Audyssey 2EQ which only sets the sub level and does not create correction filters.

If you are happy with the phase setting, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
14,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek From NJ /forum/post/18300501

What cable to connect and use the RS Meter to a laptop? If you happen to know. I want to check out that REW program. Sounds interesting

Seems impossible to get things just right or very close. sucks...

If Audyssey has the subwoofer "distance", it has set the phase. The distance control is actually a timing control. When Audyssey sets distances for the speakers, it is setting relative delays which cause the speakers' sounds to arrive at the listening position at the same time.

Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts