AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question regarding my subwoofer and placement. The sub is a Martin Logan Abyss. It can either be downward firing or forward firing. Right now it's in a corner and downward firing. I recently mounted my TV and have an empty space below the tv along with a blank wall plate covering the existing coax and ethernet jack. I was thinking of placing the sub infront of the jack so it will cover it and break up the "emptiness". Picture below for reference.

I have a Radio shack digital SPL meter and have the sub and all speakers set to 72db. If I put the sub in the center below the tv and set it up to fire forward, won't the SPL meter show the same db rating even if I hear "less" bass by ear? I know that sounds confusing, but it's the best way I could explain it. Does anyone run a forward firing sub directly infront of their seating area? Also, will I benefit by setting it up as forward firing if centered, or should I keep it downard firing..I really don't know the advantages or dissadvantges of each. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
The SPL meter should measure what you hear, or vice versa. As for forward vs. down facing, I would consult the mfr for recommendation. As for placement, you could certainly place the sub below the display but try to keep it off the exact center of the wall. (I cannot see how much more there is to the right side.)

Overall, though, your real issue in this room is all that bare hard wall area. Acoustic treatments including bass traps may have a greater effect than whether the sub faces up or out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16943580

The SPL meter should measure what you hear, or vice versa. As for forward vs. down facing, I would consult the mfr for recommendation. As for placement, you could certainly place the sub below the display but try to keep it off the exact center of the wall. (I cannot see how much more there is to the right side.)

Overall, though, your real issue in this room is all that bare hard wall area. Acoustic treatments including bass traps may have a greater effect than whether the sub faces up or out.

The TV is centered on the wall in question.

Here is a pic of the entire front so you have an idea of what I'm working with. The picture is older which is why the tv is on the stand..but it is still in the same position as the picture.

So if I move the sub to the center and measure it with the spl meter it will tell me whether I have lost or gained in regard to sound level? Also, I am the test tone from my receiver to check the level...is that what I should be using to measure the sound output for the sub and speakers or is there something better to use? Just wondering since couldn't the sub work better in a different location at one frequency but perform worse at lower or higher variations? If that's the case what should I use to measure a larger range of frequences?

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amill94 /forum/post/16944103

So if I move the sub to the center and measure it with the spl meter it will tell me whether I have lost or gained in regard to sound level?

All it will tell you is the level, which is adjustable. It will not tell you the extension or the smoothness.

Quote:
Also, I am the test tone from my receiver to check the level...is that what I should be using to measure the sound output for the sub and speakers or is there something better to use?

It is OK.

Quote:
Just wondering since couldn't the sub work better in a different location at one frequency but perform worse at lower or higher variations? If that's the case what should I use to measure a larger range of frequences?

Aha! The tools are many but the most common ones recommended are RoomEQWizard and the XTZ Room Analyzer. Google them for info.

Please do not disregard my statements about acoustic treatments. That is important.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amill94 /forum/post/16944103

The TV is centered on the wall in question.

Here is a pic of the entire front so you have an idea of what I'm working with. The picture is older which is why the tv is on the stand..but it is still in the same position as the picture.

So if I move the sub to the center and measure it with the spl meter it will tell me whether I have lost or gained in regard to sound level? Also, I am the test tone from my receiver to check the level...is that what I should be using to measure the sound output for the sub and speakers or is there something better to use? Just wondering since couldn't the sub work better in a different location at one frequency but perform worse at lower or higher variations? If that's the case what should I use to measure a larger range of frequences?

dont move the sub to the center, rather between the front left/right & ur stand. I had it like that, firing towards my seating, it sounded good. until someone complained its too busy up front and then moved it elsewhere with other issues ...

using a SPL meter is a bit tricky as you have to use a low frequency sweep with small increments and measure on spl, keep track of it on a graph, ... and those CD sub test tone sound awful & it feels like it will rip the sub apart ...

Just use the spl to set the receiver trim level in such a way that the SPL records -75dBC, slow setting ...

(there's always REW, but it sounds like you're a noobie like me, & unless you want to spend countless hours, $$$ to get cables, ...), stick with your own judgment, let your ear decide ! I also have lots of bare walls, soon to be decorated, ...

Have fun !

·
Registered
150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16944138

All it will tell you is the level, which is adjustable. It will not tell you the extension or the smoothness.

It is OK.

Aha! The tools are many but the most common ones recommended are RoomEQWizard and the XTZ Room Analyzer. Google them for info.

Please do not disregard my statements about acoustic treatments. That is important.

Hi Kal, you've given me similar recommendations in the past, but for people who use their den as a HT room, some have constraints (WAF

do you have or know of some cool designs that still provide acoustical treatments ?

(BTW, i got a carpet ;-) )

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad /forum/post/16944209

Hi Kal, you've given me similar recommendations in the past, but for people who use their den as a HT room, some have constraints (WAF

do you have or know of some cool designs that still provide acoustical treatments ?

(BTW, i got a carpet ;-) )

No. I cannot give aesthetic advice since it is so highly subjective. I prefer solid, retiring colors placed as discretely as possible. Fortunately, for me, my wife likes to decorate and I can also hide stuff behind drapes and wall hangings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts