AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have had my theater and the subs for a while and have been too lazy to move the subs around--actually much harder then you can imagine as I had to change my screen wall around (long story).

I have two Klipsch 12" Ultra 2 subs sitting on my small stage filled with sand. These subs are ported and are big (not easy to move around).

I have an SMS EQ and I have bass traps (Aurlex) in all four corners of my room floor to ceiling. The room is 12'x22' of which 2' are behind the screen (acoustic screen as well).

The subs are currently placed side by side under the left front speaker. I do not really have the option to move the subs into the room or follow the harman paper. For the most part the subs need to stay behind the screen wall though I could add a small sub in the back of the room if that helped

I currently have a huge null around 60hz and I am crossed at 80hz. The null is much more pronounced in my rear seats. In fact when you walk around the room you definetly hear better bass in certain spots.

So thinking through this before I start moving stuff around I figured I would solicit thoughts. Right now I am thinking of i.) spliting the subs up on the front wall both in their respective corners, ii.) stacking the subs in the center behind the screen or to one side or iii.) Moving the subs forward on the stage (big pain). I am a little concerned with putting the sub so it is firing behind the screen but maybe that is not a big deal.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I do not have a solution to your problem, but you are not alone. I have 4 seats (2 rows, 2 seats each) and the first row is in the center of my room (worst possible place.) My back row has a considerable more amount of bass then the front row. I moved one of my subs from the front to the rear wall and that improved bass response by a good bit for ONE of my front seats. The other seat in the front row has the worst null and I can not get rid of it no matter where I place my subs.

I am thinking additional room treatments may help, but I am not entirely sure.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have a small room and 2 diy 12'' subs that I stack on my left stage wall and I also use the sms1 and I get great results. All you can do is try it and see what the sms tells you. You will see right away if it will be a good idea or not.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
My stack makes me smile from ear to ear!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you have a picture of your setup? Have you tried placing one sub near each front speaker, instead of both next to the left one? Since they are behind your screen wall, maybe you could try placing one or both of the subs on an angle. Yes, some people will argue that sub frequencies are non-directional, but they are still emanating from a single location, and an angle change will change how the on-axis response is reflecting off of surfaces and your walls.

Anyways, these are just suggestions.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTK /forum/post/15588276

Do you have a picture of your setup? Have you tried placing one sub near each front speaker, instead of both next to the left one? Since they are behind your screen wall, maybe you could try placing one or both of the subs on an angle. Yes, some people will argue that sub frequencies are non-directional, but they are still emanating from a single location, and an angle change will change how the on-axis response is reflecting off of surfaces and your walls.

I was going to suggest the same thing- could you re-orient the direction the subs are firing? My room is barely larger than yours, and changing the firing direction made huge differences.

Also, could you split the two up (one right and one left)? This may help even out the frequency response. You can try them firing out towards the audience or firing towards each other to see if there's any difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You may want to try stacking your subs in the front corner. Pick the corner that has the longest walls on either side. This can help the bass couple better to the room. Some people suggest this option makes their sub sound boomy, and it may require some EQ to get it right. Don't forget to leave enough room for your subs to breath. Usually having your subs located apart helps even out the bass throughout your room and that may end up working better for you but will require more work to find the best locations.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Break up the stack and separate the subs. You may lose a little overall SPL, but it should help to even out the bass somewhat throughout the room. Then, varying each sub's position even a foot or so can make a difference.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksharp4 /forum/post/15586765

I have bass traps (Aurlex) in all four corners of my room floor to ceiling.

Better bass traps will make a huge improvement, and ultimately that's the best solution. Also, most rooms have 12 corners, not only four. The more total corner surface you treat, the closer you'll get to a flat response. It's that simple. Further, bass traps reduce peaks, and ringing, and also raise nulls. EQ can only reduce peaks.

--Ethan

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 10dB null was at 40Hz, for a quick fix, I dusted off my old 10" Energy EAS-10 subwoofer - set the high-pass at 50Hz, the level at 20%, plugged it into the back corner and aimed it across the wall - I got my 10dB back with little impact on the other frequencies

My next mod will be absorption pads for the mids/highs, and then bass traps so I can return the Energy to the closet where it belongs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts