Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two quick questions about placement for my first subwoofer -

1. Is there a certain minimum distance that I should keep it from the wall (and corner), or is it OK to only have a couple of inches of space?

2. Is there a certain minimum distance that I should keep it from either of the front speakers, i.e. will less than 1 foot be a problem?

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
1. Just make sure it won't vibrate into the wall. If you sub has a port (hole) then make sure there is a few inches of clearance from the port. Within a few inches from the wall is fine...

2. No, that isn't a problem. However, make sure your sub is a few feet away from your TV (the large magnet will mess up the picture).

·
Registered
112 Posts
I second Scott’s advice on placement. I've seen corner placement suggested so many times, but I get the flattest response from ½ way along the front wall. The corner placement does boost the output making the sub sound louder, but the boost is only at certain frequencies which causes the sub to sound boomy – not pleasant to my ears and not at all flat as measured by my dB meter. If ½ way along the front wall interferes with the placement of your TV, try ½ way along one of the side walls.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I don't think moving the sub along the front wall makes as much difference. I found most of the difference to be moving it along the side wall, since the axial modes for the length of the room usually are stronger. Of course, this depends on your room dimension & seating position in relation to the rest of the system. But I would try it at positions along the side of the wall, maybe at 1/5, 1/4, 1/3 and maybe 1/2 the way, preferably from the front, but you could also try it from the back.

1/2 way along the side wall usually gets rid of the odd nodes, but you will need a decent powered sub since you don't have the room boundary effect for the length of the room which makes the sub loud and boomy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.