AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question I don"t think I have seen addressed. My room setup does not really allow for what most of the experts here would call optimal sub placement. This is due to the physical/structural build of the room as well as furniture that is too big to be moved from the location the it is currently in, What are your thoughs on placing a subwoofer on top of furniture. I have a few options there: on top of a credenza that is about 4 feet tall, in a 5 foot tall armoire, or on top of entertainment center top shelf that peaks at 7 feet. I have 9 foot ceilings. Any thoughts? I will post this on another site as well to get some input there also. My current sub is a smaller M&K MX-70 downfiring sub (8" driver) and I hope to soon be the owner of a Rythmik F-15.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank45 /forum/post/18241218


Here's a question I don"t think I have seen addressed. My room setup does not really allow for what most of the experts here would call optimal sub placement. This is due to the physical/structural build of the room as well as furniture that is too big to be moved from the location the it is currently in, What are your thoughs on placing a subwoofer on top of furniture. I have a few options there: on top of a credenza that is about 4 feet tall, in a 5 foot tall armoire, or on top of entertainment center top shelf that peaks at 7 feet. I have 9 foot ceilings. Any thoughts? I will post this on another site as well to get some input there also. My current sub is a smaller M&K MX-70 downfiring sub (8" driver) and I hope to soon be the owner of a Rythmik F-15.


Thanks

I don't see why not. As long as your furniture can support the sub. And by support, not just the dead weight but all the associated vibrations from usage and whatnot. I would NOT, however, recommend putting your Rhthmik on top of furniture though.



Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have a new Rythmik here next week and will do some experimentation with both subs in various places. ntrain has always indicated that adding to, rather than replacing a sub can be beneficial so I will try running both with various combinations: side by side and separate to see what sounds the best. Will try using test tones to find nulls and peaks but that may be hard for me since I have some hearing loss (mainly at high freqs though). My brother is really interested in my MX as he has a much smaller room than I do so if the Rythmik can handle the duties by itself I will probably pass the MX to him. Dondino, for your input. I always considered myself an audiophile but after reading this forum, as well as several others, I have discovered that I really don't know very much at all - except that I like clean, beautiful sound - how to get there is what I am now learning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
Adding a sub can be a great thing as it counteracts modal issues to some degree, but placement is CRITICAL. Take your time...do the crawl test. Literally crawl around on the floor until you find the place in the room where the bass sounds best, then put the sub there. Careful placing it on top of furniture; in addition to the safety stuff, you'll also want to be sure that you're not transmitting low end to the floor, the wall or whatever. That really low frequency mechanical transmission is tough to deal with any other way than moving the sub.


Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Better than crawling is moving around a good mic connected to an RTA while pink noise is playing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman /forum/post/18251362


Better than crawling is moving around a good mic connected to an RTA while pink noise is playing.

True, but the crawl test is pretty effective if testing isn't your thing.


Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a good microphone and the RTA software is a big question mark for me... there are quite a few free ones, some you can buy, etc. I don't know enough about the stuff to even fathom a guess so I guess I will be doing the crawl test unless someone can point me in the right direction. I am amazed each day at how much I don't know about setting up a system hahahahaha. Thank you to all who replied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 /forum/post/18272864


True, but the crawl test is pretty effective if testing isn't your thing.

Frank

Even doing the crawl test, you're doing a test
it's called the crawl TEST after all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank45 /forum/post/18273072


I don't have a good microphone and the RTA software is a big question mark for me... there are quite a few free ones, some you can buy, etc. I don't know enough about the stuff to even fathom a guess so I guess I will be doing the crawl test unless someone can point me in the right direction. I am amazed each day at how much I don't know about setting up a system hahahahaha. Thank you to all who replied.

If you're looking to make a zero dollar investment, then the crawl is your best bet. Otherwise, REW software is free, has an RTA mode, an RS SPL meter can be used if all you're doing is bass measurements, and then all you need is a computer with a soundcard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well. I have a digital RS meter and I think my old desktop has a dedicated sound card (Realtek) - although I haven't used that computer since getting this laptop. You recommend the REW software from Home Theater Shack? One other question for you, due to my lack of power outlets near the HT center (I have one outlet for everything on a 15 amp breaker). What are your thoughts on a wireless setup for the sub using something like the SubCast by the Soundcast company?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Yesa, I use REW myself. Just make sure the soundcard has true line in/outs. A mic input is not appropriate.

I don't see anything wrong with wireless for a sub in general, I've never used that product.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top