AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am seeking a recommendation for a powered subwoofer whose sole purpose is to reproduce the sound of distant thunder rumbling. Hoping to find something <$500, age, appearance totally unimportant as it will be not be seen by anyone. It will be placed on a second level deck, the effect is intended for people walking on the ground below and around the deck. Since as mentioned the goal is for the sub to reproduce distant thunder, I dont think I need a huge amount of power. It will sit in a deck approximately 25' x 14' with one 25' side (opposite walkway where people will be) enclosed by home and the other sides only with 2ft wall with railing. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Kind of weird- :unsure: But if it's just for background noise and not to be felt like actual thunder can, then get whatever is the cheapest. Maybe a pair of inexpensive subs to get a little better coverage.

What is the frequency range you need to reproduce?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"What is the frequency range you need to reproduce?" Hmm, whatever the rumbling of thunder is at; Sorry I really dont know. Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the sub's going to be exposed to the elements you'd want something designed for that.
Maybe a couple of these? You'd need an separate amp for it.

Amazon.com: Dayton Audio IOSUB 10" IP66 Indoor/Outdoor Subwoofer 150W Black: Electronics
The sub(s) are part of my project to recreate the Disney Tower of Terror Basement set along with a bunch of special effects. Having pretty much themed the entire inside room, I am now moving the theming to the area outside the room. i.e. extending the lightning/thunder effects to the path leading to the themed room. I will only put out the subs on the deck on special occasions like Halloween when I invite guests and/or Trick or Treaters to visit. Check it out here if you would like to see the project:

·
Registered
903 Posts
The sub(s) are part of my project to recreate the Disney Tower of Terror Basement set along with a bunch of special effects. Having pretty much themed the entire inside room, I am now moving the theming to the area outside the room. i.e. extending the lightning/thunder effects to the path leading to the themed room. I will only put out the subs on the deck on special occasions like Halloween when I invite guests and/or Trick or Treaters to visit. Check it out here if you would like to see the project:
Quite a project! Any video with Rod Serling gets a like from me. Guy smoked about 100 cigarettes/day.

If this is the only thing you're going to be using the subs for, a single sealed 15 or a pair of sealed 12's should suffice. Take a look at the parts express sub product page, they also have wireless options that might work well for you.

Powered Subwoofers (parts-express.com)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
What you need is large full range PA loudspeakers, subs will only create the low frequency area, you would need a full range loudspeaker, with mids and tweeters.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What you need is large full range PA loudspeakers, subs will only create the low frequency area, you would need a full range loudspeaker, with mids and tweeters.
Hmm you think so? Again the sole purpose is to reproduce the low rumble of distant thunder; would think that this sound would not have much mid and high frequency (But I really dont know crap about this).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hmm you think so? Again the sole purpose is to reproduce the low rumble of distant thunder; would think that this sound would not have much mid and high frequency (But I really dont know crap about this).
Why not try playing the sound effect on a subwoofer alone and see how it sounds.....

·
Registered
903 Posts
I made a video of the sound of thunder recorded in REW's analyzer. The video was too large to upload but I have a couple of screen captures. Based on that I would think a sub that can play up to 250 hz, or a speaker that can go down to 50 hz would work well enough.
thunder_Moment1.jpg
thunder_Moment2.jpg
thunder_Moment3.jpg

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Most subwoofers do not go produce sound up to 250hz, that is woofer territory. Any of these should work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts