AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Im considering getting a new subwoofer but i wnat one which can give the following response -3db at 20hz and +3 at 120hz is there any in the market which can be under 550 or max 600 bugs?

-goldie

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
For a flat FR in that range you will want a ported sub. The subs I would look at are the Hsu VTF2 and the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus, both very good subs. If the FR of the VTF2 is like the VTF3, and it should, than it will play flat in that range, at least in maximum extension mode. Another good sub would be the Elemental Designs A3-300, but I don't know how it handles all the way up to 120 hz, I am betting it will though.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Your room will skew the response so much that looking for such specs is pointless. +/-16db is not uncommon from room interaction.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The Epik Legend fits the OP's frequency response requirements. It's available in Europe from L-Sound, but I don't know if it goes slightly over budget with the recent drop in the dollar.

The OP's criteria are difficult to match. Good extension, strong midbass, low price and available in Europe. The Legend meets all these with outstanding sound quality to boot.

Jesse I think he means anechoic specs. Although not every manufacturer is honest on specs (ie Def Tech).

·
Registered
8,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodorthopod /forum/post/20865931

The Epik Legend fits the OP's frequency response requirements. It's available in Europe from L-Sound, but I don't know if it goes slightly over budget with the recent drop in the dollar.

The OP's criteria are difficult to match. Good extension, strong midbass, low price and available in Europe. The Legend meets all these with outstanding sound quality to boot.

Jesse I think he means anechoic specs. Although not every manufacturer is honest on specs (ie Def Tech).

If the Legend has a similar response to the Empire, it only meets that spec (at 2M GP) if crossed at 80hz per Ricci's testing. Crossing it higher and you've got a significant roll off of 9db IIRC from 80hz to 20.

Regardless, the 20hz to 120hz at -3db is more or less meaningless without knowing the room size, distance to LP, at what level the OP expects to achieve that, etc.

If the room is 1000 cubic feet, that may not be that difficult to achieve, if it's 4,000 cubic feet, he may be able to get that spec at 75db if he's lucky, etc. If the room is small, he may be better off going with a sealed sub to take better advantage of room gain, if larger, a ported sub may be more appropriate.

I don't think HSU can ship to Europe and give him a sub at $550 or under, so that is out of the question I would guess (otherwise I'd say look at the VTF-2 for $509 + shipping).

Having said that, he says "Europe" and under 550 bugs. Not sure if that is UK Pounds or Euros, or US dollars.

Something like this may do the trick, was well reviewed by Ilkka IIRC. 495 Euros or so.

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/Sub_Woofers/monolith-df.htm

·
Registered
328 Posts
wow pbc -- that monolith sub looks like a real value! The driver and amp look to be very high quality and all of the free goodies look great too. My sub is hooked up using stereo jacks meaning I have a second plug just sitting free -- I suppose I could get a second sub and stack em . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.